Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New monitor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cauthon

Cauthon

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:30 PM

I need a new monitor. I have a Dell desktop pc, an XPS 8300, and it is a couple years old but it has an I7 CPU and running Windows 7 so it is still sort of OK.  I have an ancient crt monitor that was probably good, back in the prime of its ilfe, whenever that might have been, but the letters are a little fuzzy and I have heard that it is not easy to adjust the focus, and even then it would still be old. I have enough old age problems of my own, so I don't want to put up with a computer that is old and tired too:-) I have looked around various web sites hoping to find reviews, forums (fora?) or whatever, but not found much. I tried searching the forums and tutorials here - lots of interesting tutorials but nothing about how to choose a monitor.

I did find some bits of information here and there, some people say that IPS is better than TN, and 1ms is better than 5ms. Bigger is of course better, that's the American way, but as the mechanic said to the customer, horsepower costs money, how fast do you want to go? Maybe in a year or so somebody will have a 28" 3840x2160 that I can afford (the 38-40 used to be good for deer hunting in the woods) but for now I will probably have to get by with 1920 X 1080.

I generally don't get into gaming, but I have some fairly sizable spreadsheets for work, and it would be nice to get more of the page on the screen. As far as I can tell, the ASUS VX228H seems to be good enough and less than $200.

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:35 AM

Have you checked into TV's? I hooked a little 26" Vizio TV to my computer through the HDMI cable. It's bigger than any monitor I had before and using the HDMI gives it a great picture.

Just a thought... :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

TV's and monitors are very similar in some ways, but an IPS monitor will probably be of higher quality.  The VX228H is a TN monitor.  IPS-based monitors have greater color accuracy and viewing angles.  Most people really don't need a 1ms response rate, even most PC gamers can handle 5ms.

Here are some options around the $200 mark.

ASUS VS24AH-P Black 24"

ASUS VN248H-P 23.8''

ASUS VS239H-P Black 23"

3939.png

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:47 AM

I agree, a good monitor is better than a TV. But, at the time, buying a TV was cheaper than a really good monitor the same size. Maybe they've come down in price now, I haven't checked in a few years... :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users