Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"new" motherboard not recognizing hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse365

Jesse365

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

Hi, I don't know where to post this but hopefully it's here. I just got a new motherboard because the connector that holds the keyboard ribbon in place and the charger port both broke. My problem is that the used one I bought is not tecognizing the hard drive. It's an ASUS k53e motherboard exactly like the broken one. Can anyone help?

Edited by hamluis, 01 November 2015 - 01:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:58 AM

Is this and IDE (ribbon cable) or SATA(smaller cable) hdd?

Can you see the hdd in the bios? How about device manager?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

If this hdd had Windows operating system installed with the old motherboard Windows will have recognized the identifiers from the motherboard's chipset.  If you introduce the hard drive to the new motherboard it will recognize the identifiers for that chipset.  This usually results in the operating system basically becoming confused and unable to open Windows.

Even though this is the "same" motherboard, it may be a different revision.

If this is Windows 7 or 8/8.1 you can use the sysprep command in the Elevated Command Prompt to generalize the operating system.  After that you can move it to the new motherboard without having to worry about this type of problem.

If this is what happened, you most likely need to reinstall Windows.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Jesse365

Jesse365
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

No I can't see it in BIOS, as far as getting to Windows I can't get into it. It says to revoot and select proper boot device. I've tried the remove cmos battery th8ng and reset bios settings to default but nothing.

#5 Jesse365

Jesse365
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

I've got a laptop sata drive, no cable it connects to the motherboard

#6 Jesse365

Jesse365
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

Ok. Update. I just realized why it's not being recognized. The port is bent out of shape and cracked on the bottom. So thanks for your help. Now I have to see how hard it is to repace that. Thank you guys for your help.

#7 panthera0404

panthera0404

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:18 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12-7mm-SATA-2nd-HDD-SSD-Hard-Drive-Caddy-for-CD-DVD-ROM-Optical-Bay-/201376600638?hash=item2ee2fb123e:g:Bh8AAOSwpDdVekLO

you can always use this and install hdd instead of DVD. 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:03 AM

The previous post very clearly states that the problem is of a physical nature.  This will have to be repaired before they can do anything with the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users