Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Kubuntu & Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

Hello.

I'm headed back into the land of dual booting and just made myself some space on my current HDD.

You can see the latest screenshot of my HDD here, (Post # 14) where I got some great advice from a couple of Bleeping Computer Members.

My computer is a HP Desktop p6-2143w running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I've looked over the exhausting and seemingly complicated How-To over at the Kubuntu Precise Installation page but I can't really tell if I'm ready to drop in my .ISO and install it.

After I adjusted my HDD and made the Logical partition, I've restarted my computer a couple of times to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be.

I've also dropped in the .ISO DVD I made of Kubuntu and test drove the OS - everything seemed to run just fine. Opened some pics, surfed the next, etc.

So, based on my current HDD setup, am I ready to drop that DVD in there and install it next to my Windows or does anyone know if I need to *tweak* that HDD just a bit more before I do that?

Other notes:

• I made my Recovery Discs for my Windows 7 OS when I first purchased the computer, so those are nearby if I need them.

• I recently backed up every thing on this computer in the event of a massive failure.

• I just downloaded and installed EasyBCD 2.3 on my machine in case I need it.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

It would be helpful to post a Speccy Chart for all the info of your system.  I see your computer make and model, but there are sometimes issues with graphics that will prevent an install.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

If the Speccy is to difficult you could do something similar in Linux while running Kubuntu LiveLinuxDVD.  Open the Linux Terminal and Copy Paste this Command into Terminal:  inxi -Fx and hit Enter.  Copy Paste the outcome in your next post.  Use Right Click Copy, Ctrl + C won't work in Terminal.

If it were me, I would move the Recovery Partition over all the way to the left, and install linux next to Windows but after, but wait for more experienced to advise.  The best way to pursue this is to have a backup image of the original drive state, then later, after linux is installed - the whole Dual Boot Drive.  It is much faster to recover this way as opposed to the Recovery Disks.  There are many ways to do this.

I will leave you with this tutorial just to get you up to speed.  Wait for help though as it will be along soon.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579923/how-to-dual-boot-windows-ubuntu-based-linux-oss-mbr-method/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users