Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did an addon--or malware--reset my Firefox profile?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gf1701

gf1701

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:18 PM

A couple of months ago, I was having problems with slow Firefox performance, so I refreshed Firefox, which created a new profile from scratch. My problems cleared up. I subsequently installed two addons (AdBlock Plus and Flashblock), with no performance issues resulting

Fast forward to last night. I click on a bookmark for Craigslist, and up pops a new tab displaying a page from the Flash and Video Download addon (http://fnvfox.appspot.com/thankyou.html). I quickly closed it. I go back to browse and I notice new icons on the Firefox toolbar. Then I notice they're not really new: they are icons for the addons that I had prior to refreshing Firefox a couple of months ago. I open up Addons Manager, and they're all back--one of them being the Flash and Video downloader (which shows its last update as October 30, 2015, the night this occurred). Then I clicked on a link to a website, and Firefox kept popping up prompts asking me if I wanted to accept cookies for the site--which was what I had configured Firefox to do before I refreshed it, but not after. I went to look at my profile. I had a shortcut to the new profile created when I refreshed; the shortcut's target was gone. The profile no longer exists.

I've searched the web, but can find no similar reports, although I have seen reports of Flash and Video Downloader opening a new Firefox tab on its own, without being asked. I ran Malwarebytes and a full system virus scan with Avast, and they found nothing unusual. There is obviously some connection to fnvfox.appspot.com, but what? How could this change have been effected? Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 November 2015 - 07:28 PM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to Am I Infected for a malware check

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users