Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How to change user name Owner?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 KCav

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

When the OS was installed on my new solid state drive the user name Owner was used.  I would like to create two user accounts and make them both Administrators.  

I went to Control Panel and clicked on User Accounts.  Then I  clicked on Change your account name and I typed a user name  above where it said, " This name will appear on the Welcome screen and Start menu, " then I clicked Change Name.  Next I clicked Change account type and selected Administrator. Next I clicked on Change your picture, browsed to find a picture and inserted one.  Then I clicked on Manage another account and selected Create a new  account, and I created a new account.  When I rebooted it said,  "Welcome to Windows 7 Professional"  and displayed the icons for both users, and when I selected one, I arrived on my Desktop.  :tophat:

Everything seemed to work perfectly until Iuntil I went to C:/Users and did not find the name of my new user account, instead Owner was there.  I  ight clicked on Owner and looked for the Rename facility, it was not there.   :bananas:

I scroll down and clicked on Properties; on the General tab I was unable to change the name Owner; on the tab for Sharing it said Owner shared,  then I clicked on the Security tab and It said, " Object Name:  C:\Owner."   There was a heading Group or User Names, under it were 8 items. Oneitem combined the new user name with system name/owner.  Since the name Owner was changed using the Change name facility in User Accounts, why does this item appear here?   :bananas: 

I can rename most folders by right clicking on the folder name and selecting Rename.  Why isn't Rename available with in C:\Users\Owner?   How do I change the user name Owner?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users