Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Drives Detected

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Steve E

Steve E

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:02 AM

I was given the task of getting one of my co-workers computer to run. It is a new system that was purchased from a custom shop. It worked great for about 2 months. Then everything quit. It was sent back several times with new parts but, it never worked. Right now to the best of my knowledge it has a new power supply and a new motherboard ( Gigabyte K8NS ), Athlon 64 3000 CPU and 1 gig of PC3200.

When I tried to boot up all I would get is beep codes. I pulled the CPU fan and the CPU came with it, stuck to the bottom of the heat sink. I cleaned it up and reinstalled it. The beep codes are gone and the system will post to the "Drive Detection" page, NOTHING. I replaced the ribbons, no help. The BIOS has no drives detected as well.

Is there something I can do to get this board to detect my drives or is it time for a new board (again)?

Thanks
Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:51 AM

Does this motherboard have a built in GigaRAID? If so, you will probably need to turn that off to start with.

Also - is the harddrive SATA or IDE? I take it it is probably IDE (because you said ribbons). The BIOS is probably set to detect SATA automatically as a RAID drive. You will need to play around with the detection settings to make it select the IDE drive as a master. That was probably a little confusing...sorry!

How about first off - what make and model motherboard is it? (we can download the user manual and figure out the BIOS options) My Gigabyte MB was a pain the a$$ to get it to see the Harddrives, but we will see how we go.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Steve E

Steve E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:08 AM

The board is a Gigabyte K8NS.

Thanks

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:12 AM

One simple step would be a BIOS (motherboard) battery replacement. I gather from your post it is a fairly new computer, less than a year? The battery could be defective.
Does it boot floppy\CD?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:49 AM

I'm concerned that the CPU came out with the heatsink. Is there a lever to make sure the CPU stays in it's socket? And, does it work? If it was loose before - no wonder it never worked right! If it won't lock the CPU in the socket then it's bad - and that calls for a new mobo (which, I suspect, is the root of this problem - just a hunch!).

Since you've checked everything else, you might as well check the memory on the off chance that it's bad or that it's not properly seated.

Next step is to disconnect everything except:
Case
PSU
Mobo
CPU and cooler
Vidcard
memory
Keyboard

Then try to boot into DOS from a floppy.

Then add a known good hard drive to the mix and try to boot to a floppy and access the hard drive from DOS.

Then, try booting from the hard drive itself.

Eventually you'll isolate where the problem occurs at - and replacing that part should fix it.

Then move on with the remaining parts - swapping known good for the questionable ones.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Steve E

Steve E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:08 PM

The CPU coming out with the heatsink concerns me as well. The lever is there and it seem to work. I reinstalled the CPU and gave it a light tug and it seemed tight. When I first started messing with this thing I checked to see if everything was tight. One of the memory sticks was not seated completely.

The way it sits right now is as you suggested,
Case
PSU
Mobo
CPU and cooler
Vidcard
memory
Keyboard
and I have the mouse connected as well.

I'll try the things you suggested and let you know what happens.

Thanks

#7 Steve E

Steve E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:01 PM

OK, I stuck in an old Hard Drive and it was detected fine.

I tried to boot from Floppy, CD and Hard Disk. It would get to verifying DMA Pool and then it would read, "NTLDR is Missing" "Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart" I looked up this error message and there are many things that can be the cause. The old hard disk I installed could be one. The thing that I don't understand is why I get the same error message with all three boot devices.

I set the BIOS to first boot from floppy. I insert a bootable floppy, (XP Start-up Disk One) and I get "Missing NTLDR

I set the BIOS to first boot from CD. I insert a New unused copy of Windows XP Pro into the CD Drive. Set-up asks me to press any key to boot from CD. I do and I get the error message.

I set the BIOS to first boot from Hard Disk. I do not expect to work as I have no idea what is on this old drive. However, I still get the same message.

Any Ideas???

Edited by Steve E, 21 July 2006 - 05:22 PM.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:00 PM

The article found HERE may help. Read it with a fine tooth comb!

QUOTE: If you are attempting to add a new hard disk drive to the computer make sure that drive is a blank drive. Adding a new hard disk drive to a computer that already has Windows installed on it may cause the NTLDR error to occur.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 21 July 2006 - 07:02 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 Steve E

Steve E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:17 PM

The article found HERE may help. Read it with a fine tooth comb!

QUOTE: If you are attempting to add a new hard disk drive to the computer make sure that drive is a blank drive. Adding a new hard disk drive to a computer that already has Windows installed on it may cause the NTLDR error to occur.

Yep, that's the article I read earlier. I know that installing a used hard drive can cause problems. When I install a used hard drive I always boot from floppy drive with my set of (6) Windows XP start-up disks. This allows me to delete and create partitions and format the drive. This is the first time I have had not been able to get these bootable floppies to work.

Thanks

#10 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:06 PM

This may sound stupid but bear with me here. An ide cable that is installed wrong can cause exactly the problem you are describing. If the ide ribbon cables have the blue connector make sure that connector is the one attached to the motherboard. Ensure that both channels are attached as described both primary and secondary ides.

A customer of mine went thru this same thing with another shop. They never did get it running right. After hearing about me he asked me to repair it for him. After more time than I care to reveal here is what I found.

1. DVD /ROM and CD/RW both set to master
2. Secondary IDE channel ribbon cable installed backwards. Blue connector was attched to DVD/ROM instead of motherboard connector.

When I first attempted to boot PS and cpu fan would run but no video signal and no beeping on POST.
I finally solved the mystery when I disconnected every thing ie all drives even the floppy. Then the rig would do a POST. Cannot tell you how good that one beep sounded to me.

Re-installed all drives correctly , formatted hard drive and re-installed windows xp.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:02 AM

This may sound stupid but bear with me here. An ide cable that is installed wrong can cause exactly the problem you are describing. If the ide ribbon cables have the blue connector make sure that connector is the one attached to the motherboard. Ensure that both channels are attached as described both primary and secondary ides.

No it does not. That is what makes this site work. Practical application of knowledge learned. I am not saying that what you purpose is the answer, but it is will thought out and very well could be the problem. We will know when the member posts what he found.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:59 AM

Just my2 - nearly every PC that I have assembled has refused to start the first time it was fired up. So I've made it a habit to go back and double check every connection before I close the case - and that has saved me tons of time!!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Steve E

Steve E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:42 PM

Well, I checked all the ribbons and they were OK. I took the HD out and installed into another system and did a format. Reinstalled the drive and no luck. I picked up some new ribbons and installed those, no luck. Now, after all this messing around, I can no longer get the MB to detect this drive either. Put the old ribbons back in and nine times out of ten "will not detect".
I give up! I ordered a new MB. Hopefully that will take care of it. I just hope the deal with the CPU coming out didn't screw that up also.

Thanks

#14 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:58 PM

Does the MB have GigaRAID?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#15 Steve E

Steve E
  • Topic Starter

• Members