Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet slowing computer down a lot

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 flobiwan

flobiwan

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:09 AM

I have a Dell PC running Windows 7 64bit professional edition.  I keep internet browsers open with a lot of tabs.  Occasionally, my computer will slow down immensely - almost like it's crashing.  By slow, i mean it will take about 10 seconds when i click on something for the computer to register it.  And even after that, the program will say "not responding" for a while. However, when i look in task manager, the CPU and memory usages aren't that high.  I found that shutting down the browsers will eliminate the problem immediately.

What is it about the internet usage that could cause my PC to slow down that much while STILL showing normal CPU and RAM usage?

Also, is there any way to tell which tab in the browsers is the culprit?  I use Chrome and Firefox. 

I have done scans with malwarebytes and NOD32 and found nothing.

I have also installed extensions on Chrome and Firefox that suspend tabs after a certain amount of time so that they are no longer running but this hasn't solved the problem. 

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 November 2015 - 09:22 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to Am I Infected for malware check

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:27 AM

If this is only occurring when you are on the Internet I would suggest that you have too many tabs open.  

What type of connection dose your ISP use, broadband, DSL, dialup... ?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:11 AM

I have a cable internet connection.  a speed test shows 41mb downlad / 35mb upldoad.  Here's the link

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4XYWmLJbkNmN6dXBjhf1Uuu

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:34 AM

The speed looks good, there's enough RAM, and there is plenty of free space on the hdd.  I would suggest not having as many tabs open and see if this makes a difference.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:00 PM

You might also try just clearing your browser cache.

Louis

#6 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

If i clear my browsers cache, will that eliminate the cookies or other security protocols that help websites recognize my PC?  I ask because i access bank accounts online for clients (i'm an accountant) and if i get the "we don't recognize your computer" type of message again  when i try to login, i will have to contact my clients so they can have a code sent to their phone or whatever it takes to "OK" my computer with the bank.  I'm trying to eliminate that frustration.  

The browsers aren't using that much RAM, so could just the number of tabs be slowing things down?  When this happens, it happens suddenly and abruptly which is why i thought that it's probably a specific tab or function of the browser. 

I was hoping there was a way to find the tab that's slowing things down.  My fear is, If i close 90% of the tabs but one of the 10% that are open is the one that is causing the problem, then the problem would still remain, right?  I guess i could go one at a time and see.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 02:53 PM

I believe that a good part of your problem is the number of tabs you have open.  And yes, having a large number of tabs open at one time can slow down you online activities.  I don't believe it is on specific tab which is causing this.

Below are links which explain how to clear the browser cache in Chrome and Firefrox.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95582?hl=en

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:52 PM

- Chrome & Firefox are known to have "lousy" memory management. Do you REALLY need to run both browsers at the same time ?

- I noticed that memory usage is very high (80%) in spite of having 8 GB of memory and that's not surprising because your system has been running for 28 days. (See the SPECCY snapshot). Install PcWinTech's Cleanmem. It will reduce memory usage every 15 minutes and let it collapse the file cache as well. Keep in mind, the file cache doesn't show up in Task Manager and can be VERY big.

Cleanmem comes with a system tray indicator that shows the % of used memory. See how that % behaves when you're using your system. Could be VERY revealing.

- Chrome & Firefox can be configured to delete the browser cache when you close the browsers. (No, it won't delete the cookies).

Keep us posted.

Edited by Willy22, 31 October 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#9 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:24 PM

Thanks.  Yes, i need to use both browsers as some sites work best on one browser and others on another. 

Thanks for the tips about Cleanmem and the browser caches. I'll use those.  

And yes, my PC is on 24-7 and i rarely restart it unless i have a problem.

Edited by flobiwan, 31 October 2015 - 05:25 PM.

#10 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:21 PM

- Ouch. Looks like Google & Firefox work differently than Internet Explorer (the browser I use). Use GOOGLE to see what's possible.

- Piriform's CCleaner is a good program to clean the browser caches.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:50 PM

It's not just the number of tabs, it's also the "busy-ness" of each open tab.  Regardless of which browser[s] used, too many tabs,. too many "busy" tabs will definitely slow things down.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 October 2015 - 07:50 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:20 AM

So, is there a way i can tell which tabs are "busiest"

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

Please do what I suggested and get back to us with the results.

You can also try running the browsers without any addons.

Running Firefox in Browser Safe Mode

• Press the windows key Windows_Logo_key.gif + r on your keyboard at the same time
  • Copy and paste the following into the run box and press Enter
  • firefox --safe-mode

• Select Start in Safe Mode
  • Please report how Firefox is running
  •  

Launching Internet Explorer Without Add-ons

• Click Start
  • Type iexplore.exe -extoff in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter
  • Check the browser behavior
  •  

Launching Chrome Without Plugins or Extensions

• Press the windows key Windows_Logo_key.gif + r on your keyboard at the same time
  • Type in chrome --incognito and press Enter
  • Test Chrome

• Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 flobiwan

flobiwan
    • Topic Starter

• Members
    • 100 posts
    •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

I cleared the caches and closed some tabs.  I also installed Cleanmem yesterday to run every 15 minutes.  It shows memory to be between 50-60% since i installed it.

PC seems to be working OK for now.  Problem is, it's an intermittent thing.  If it's still there, it could be fine for a while and show up 3 days from now.  That's what makes it so hard to diagnose.

#15 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
    • 945 posts
    •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:02 PM

- If one closes one Chrome tab then it doesn't necessarily reduce memory usage. That's why Chrome such a "pain in the a**".

- With so many tabs open I also would configure the build-in Windows Disk fragmentation to run every week.

- Check Task Scheduler. Do you REALLY need all those tasks ? What's "IUM-..............." ? Running those tasks say every week instead of say every day, also could help.

- Reduce the amount of programs that run upon startup.

All things put together can help to reduce the workload and that (perhaps) avoids that irregular delay.

If Chrome runs better in Safe Mode then that would also give a clue where to look for that delay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users