Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get into bios, safety mode or f12

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Merri

Merri

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:48 AM

I was doing a factory reinstall and it was turned off. When I booted up my laptop, the,this pc needs to be repaired screen came up. So I hit the f8 key and nothing happened. Tried this many times,still nothing. Shut it down to try f2 and f12 and they don't work either. Tried doing all these options, over and over.

I have done factory restalls before and never has this problem.

I took out the hard drive, when I put it back in, still the blue screen. Tried taking out the memory, didn't help.

So I can't get in the computer to change any setting.

I am at a lost! Could this be a bad hard drive problem?

Dell inspiron 5720
Windows 8
Error code 0xc0000225

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:12 AM

Do you do the factory reinstall from a partition on the hard drive, from a disk, or from a USB drive?

Where did you get the recovery media from?  Did you create it yourself?

Start with these free bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

If they pass, then try redoing the factory reinstall.

Let us know the results and we'll move on from there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Merri

Merri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:19 AM

Hello Usasma,

I can't get passed the blue screen. Can't change any settings, do tests etc.

Yes I made them when I got the computer, I have used them before. Yes I was using my disks.

#4 gpearman

gpearman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 02:48 PM

How old is the computer?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:05 PM

If you can't run the bootable diagnostics, then there's something seriously wrong with the system.

There's a number of different things to try (removing RAM, removing the hard drive, etc)

How technically proficient are you?  If you are confident in removing/testing these components, try to see if you can access F12 after removing/reseating them.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 gpearman

gpearman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:19 PM

What are the beep codes? Generally speaking, if you can't get to the BIOS, it's a Keyboard problem or a motherboard problem. Don't freak out.

So, What kind of environment does this thing live in? It could be as simple as a dust bunny. How old is it? It might be a heat problem. Even if your MBR is misplaced, the motherboard will try and tell you her problem. Even if the OS is lost, she speaks to us.

Unplug it, pull the battery, push the "on" button to dump the capacitors that you can. Put it together, see if it changes. Listen for the beep code. This is where we start.

If the beep codes tell us we're ok.

http://www.optimizemswindows.com/fix-boot-error-0xc0000225-in-windows-7/

Good Luck

Edited by gpearman, 31 October 2015 - 06:15 PM.

#7 Merri

Merri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

The laptop will be 3 years old,in March 2016.

I took out the ram and hard drive and when I turned it back on it was a black screen, in the corner it said f12 boot options, II tried that and it did do anything. Tried the f2 and f8 nothing.

The only beep I had was when I didn't have any ram in.

Funny before this happened, I ran all the test passes but my CD/DVD drive and that was a few hours before this happened.

Now because of the hard drive being out and the blue screen went away, if I got a new hard drive, would that fix this?

Aren't motherboards expensive? And are they easy to change?

Also, would taking out the bios battery, help in any way?

I do have a can of air for dust.

Too late, I am all ready freaking out lol

Thanks Usasma and gpearman

Edited by Merri, 01 November 2015 - 08:20 AM.

#8 Merri

Merri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:23 AM

On I forgot,,the keyboard, it still has the light on the cap lock and I remembered a test for the screen, the one were you hit d on start up and that worked. So much I am thinking the key board is okay.

#9 gpearman

gpearman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:34 AM

Merri,

F12 is usually for a list of alternate boot options. That should have helped. F2 is what is supposed to work for BIOS. But now we're blackscreen. Reseat your RAM. It may not be in quite right.

I'm investigating ways to reset a the BIOS.

I've got to warn you. In school, they teach us that static electricity is hell on components. I wear a grounded wrist strap. Make sure you touch something or somebody, then touch a metal part on the computer before you discharge on the RAM or Disk. Dryer cooler temps are here and make this worse. We'll try not to introduce new problems into the situation.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19482406/20293491

One trick, Hold the "Fn" and "Power" button to run diagnostics.

Another, is Shift+F8, repeatedly.

http://commweb-ps3.us.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19490163

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/599950/EN

Apparently, you are not alone.

gdpearman

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN151713/en

#10 Merri

Merri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:00 AM

Okay reseated the ram again and all the same results. I've tried all the tricks. It must be a hardware problem,,sighs.

Thanks gpareman

#11 gpearman

gpearman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

Yeah Merri,

Kinda hard to be a hero from afar. Read what you can, follow the links. Laptops are not easily disassembled for the uninitiated. There does seem to be a problem with the BIOS on some of these units. Now days with secure boot and UEFI, it's a chore to hack into them.  Find any Live OS, this means a DVD with a bootable operating system. It doesn't matter what, except no Mac or non-Linux UNIX (they're RISC based). See if it will boot to any of them. The best scenario would be to get a Windows 8 rescue disc, but anything will do to test the hardware.  300 bucks for a motherboard, if that is what it is. This requires a complete tear down.

If you know a techy, pull the hard drive and test it, I have tools for this. They could get all your stuff off and determine if that is it and maybe hack the partitions to resolve path problems or corruption.

Another approach, remove some RAM. Test. Reinstall. Remove a different RAM module. Test.

These people say one beep indicates system board failure or BIOS corruption.

http://blog.parts-people.com/2014/06/27/dell-inspiron-17r-5720-beep-codes-diagnostic-indicators

(they sell boards) Verify anything salespeople say.

You may need a local CompTIA A+ Certified Tech.

Good Luck,

Gary

#12 Merri

Merri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

Hi,

This makes me sick,, its not even that old,well to be any way lol

Nothing important on my hard drive, thank goodness just music.

Maybe when I get some extra money I will try a new hard drive, can't afford a tech guy

I am borrowing a tablet, I am not use to a small screen. I miss my laptop.

Thanks for trying to help me, Gary.

#13 gpearman

gpearman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

Pretty sure it's the BIOS, probably "Secure Boot" and "UEFI" in our way.

http://akits.weebly.com/blog/inspiron-17r-5720-cant-access-biosf2-or-boot-from-other-devicef12-corrupt-bios

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19484403

It was kinda early in the the whole secure boot thing. These articles might help. If you can get it to boot from anything or trick, update the BIOS first thing. There are ways to download the upgrade and maybe flash from a usb. These are beyond this conversation.

They were replacing boards, too. Does CNTRL+ALT+Delete restart from the error screen?

#14 Merri

Merri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

Yes the ctn, alt del does restart on error screen.

I'll read the links in a bit, have to out for awhile.

Thanks so very much
Merri

Edited by Merri, 01 November 2015 - 03:01 PM.

#15 Merri

Merri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:28 PM

OMG!!!!!!!

How did you find that????

I have some hope now!!!!!!

Whooohoooo!!!!!!!

Time to get out my little screw drives,, just when I put them away, thinking there was no hope.

I tell ya how it goes.

Wish me luck.

Thank you so much!!!!!!

Hope your having a great day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users