Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited wifi connectivity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wanderlustenrose

wanderlustenrose

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:43 AM

I have an issue with my laptop that I am utterly baffled by. If anybody could help me solve it, I'd much appreciate it. I have an HP 17-e020dx running Windows 8 which I purchased two years ago. Until recently I lived abroad and had limited internet so in the two yrs I had this laptop abroad, I believe I ran Windows Update maybe only two times. Upon returning stateside, I set about updating everything from Windows Update. Everything was fine, the only issue being that it didn't seem my laptop could update to 8.1 despite being prompted to do so. A couple of weeks later we had a power outage and I used the laptop until the battery died and then turned the laptop back on when the power came back. When the laptop turned on, that was when I discovered that the wifi connection was limited despite working on all other devices. I googled around and tried a few solutions to no avail before trying a system restore which seemed to do the trick. I thought nothing of it after that until the issue came up again a few weeks later, probably when I restarted the laptop, only this time system restore didn't fix the problem. Eventually I got frustrated enough and decided to reformat the whole computer because I'd read some articles that suggested one of the updates caused this which seemed to make sense to me since I never had this connectivity problem abroad (when I hadn't run Update) . After reformatting the computer I never ran Windows Update. In fact I turned it off. For approximately two weeks the connection was fine. Then it started again. Each time, the wifi is perfectly fine right up to the moment I click restart. After I restart it, it goes back to limited connectivity and once again requires a system restore from me. What is causing this problem?? How do I fix it without constantly running a system restore? I'm generally pretty good with computers, especially with a bit of digging into the issue but this one has baffled me and frustrated me. As far as I can tell it's a software glitch? Thanks to anybody who knows how to fix this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

By format, do you mean you used the System Restore  partition to reinstall the operating system or used a HP installation disc to install the operating system?

If you did either of these you should have the proper network drivers you need.

Look in the Device Manager and see if there are any yellow warning icons under Network Adapters.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 wanderlustenrose

wanderlustenrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:15 PM

When I say system restore I mean that I restored the computer to a previous point. By reformatting I meant that I reinstalled Windows 8 completely although I don't have a disc for it these days, seems it's located in a partition but either way I set it back to factory settings. I don't think it's an issue with drivers and whatnot given that the wifi does work at times. What in the world could my computer be doing during the restart process that makes my wifi limited? Especially since I disabled Windows Update. In the days after I reformatted the computer, restarting didn't cause this issue. Now I'm loathe to restart my laptop. 

Will download Speccy and come back with the results. Thanks!

#4 wanderlustenrose

wanderlustenrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:24 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rPdMARLImgPriXXk6ESzMVz

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:32 AM

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

cmd will appear under Programs, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

A screen similar to the one below will open.

Screenshot2.jpg

Copy and paste the following command in the Elevated Command Prompt.

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and then press Enter.

Reboot the computer.

Edited by dc3, 02 November 2015 - 08:32 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 wanderlustenrose

wanderlustenrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

Hello. My wifi is working at the moment so I don't need to do this quite yet. However this is one of the solutions I came across online and it did not work for me before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users