Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD crashes - Tried Driver Verifier, not it's much worse. Win 10

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MurphyMan

MurphyMan

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:14 PM

I was having BSOD crash episodes several time a day. I followed the advice to setup Driver Verifier to discover what the issue was.  That is where the problems got worse
:
Now every every boot fails because of a DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION.

I tried to reconfigure driver verifier so that it would not check anything... the error still happens at boot. I cot to cmd and tried verifier /bootmode resetonbootfail and also verifier /reset.  No Joy.

Through the Windows 10 BSOD menus I am able to get into the Safe Mode, but that's about it.

I'm attaching the latest dump file.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:50 PM

Do you have a backup of any files/documents/pics/music/important stuff  etc etc etc  ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:45 AM

To turn off verifier, run verifier.exe and select "Delete existing settings" (you can also do this in Safe Mode).
Then click on "Finish" and reboot to have the changes take effect.

Another option is to use System Restore to go back to a point BEFORE you started using Driver Verifier.

To launch System Restore, go to the Run dialog, type "rstrui" (without the quotes) and press Enter

No dump files attached.

Please zip up the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump and upload that with your next post.

If you have problems zipping it, copy it to your Desktop and try zipping it from there.

Try these things also (I can't recall how they work in Safe Mode):

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

systeminfo:
Please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "systeminfo.exe >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the syteminfo.txt file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .txt file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

Edited by usasma, 31 October 2015 - 04:47 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

Thankyou!  that was a big help. Previously I tried to reset verifier via the BSOD menus with no results.  I'm pretty sure I reset everything when I went through cmd and typed verifier /reset. When I did verifier.exe through the Safe Mode cmd prompt it took and my machine booted normally!  Yes!  :bounce:

I'm  still have the crashing issues, now with the original DCP Watchdog Voiolation, so I am attaching the files you requested.

Attached Files

Edited by MurphyMan, 31 October 2015 - 03:18 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:39 AM

There's only 1 memory dump in the uploaded files.  Please stop using drive cleaners (such as CCleaner) and other t

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 0401) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

You have a HTC Remote NDIS based Device.  This appears to be a wireless USB networking device.  Your drivers for this device date from 09 July 2015.:

I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7 and later systems - using older drivers with them is almost certain to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have the latest W7/8/8.1/10 drivers - DO NOT use older drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

The drivers for your Android phone device are not installed (according to Device Manager).  Yet the drivers were loaded in the memory dump.  This driver dates from 2009.

Please uninstall any software that you installed for this device, then physically remove the device from your system.

Feel free to attempt to reconnect it AFTER we've finished troubleshooting and the system has become stable.

You appear to have a  High-Speed PCIe Serial Port (COM3) card (because the Sports.sys driver for it is loaded).

But I cannot locate the specific device that it's associated with.

The point here is that the driver for this device is dated from 2009 and is likely not compatible w/W10

Please remove the software for this device and physically remove it from your system.

There are 2 ApphelpHardBlock errors in the WER section of MSINFO32.
I suspect that this means that you have incompatible software installed.
The ApphelpHardBlock message means that an incompatible program has been blocked, but it does not specify which program it is.
Please check your older software for compatibility with this version of Windows.

FYI - if you try to uninstall the one's that are hard blocked, you'll get an error telling you that it can't be uninstalled.

As it's hard blocked, don't worry about it.  Worry about the one's that aren't hard blocked.

The BSOD's listed in the WER section of MSINFO32 blame the usb8023x.sys driver (the lone memory dump analysis agrees with this).  This is the driver that belongs to your wireless USB HTC Remote NDIS based Device

Please uninstall the software for this device and then physically remove it from your system in order to test and see if that stops the BSOD's.

If it does, then attempt to install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version of the software/drivers for that device (to see if it works without causing a BSOD).

FYI - I would suggest not using the Free Windows Registry Repair program.  We discourage the use of registry cleaners as they generally don't help - and they can damage the system to the point where it won't boot.

AMD OverDrive (AODDriver2.sys) is either a stand-alone application, or a component of the AMD VISION Engine Control Center.  This driver is known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems.

NOTE:  these symptoms were from the previous release of OverDrive.  The new release uses the same driver name, but is dated from 4 November 2013.

Please un-install all AMD/ATI video stuff from Control Panel...Programs...Un-install a program
Then, download (but DO NOT install) a fresh copy of the ATI drivers from http://www.amd.com (in the upper right corner of the page)
Use this procedure to install the DRIVER ONLYhttp://www.sysnative.com/forums/showthread.php/668-ATI-video-cards-DRIVER-ONLY-installation-procedure

If the device (AODDriver or AODDriver4.01) remains a problem, open Device Manager, select the "View" item.
Then select "Show hidden devices" and scroll down to the Non-Plug and Play Drivers section.
Locate the AODDriver entry, right click on it and select "Un-install".  Reboot for changes to take affect.

Sometimes the driver remains and continues to cause BSOD's.  If this is the case for you, post back and we'll give further instructions for safely removing it.

If overclocking, please stop. Remove the overclock and return the system to stock/standard values while we're troubleshooting. Once the system is stable again, feel free to resume the overclocking.

Analysis:
The following is for informational purposes only.
**************************Fri Oct 30 12:05:39.242 2015 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\SysnativeBSODApps\103015-6359-01.dmp]
Windows 10 Kernel Version 10240 MP (2 procs) Free x64
Built by: 10240.16545.amd64fre.th1.150930-1750
System Uptime:1 days 2:24:13.938

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for usb8023x.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for usb8023x.sys

Probably caused by :usb8023x.sys ( usb8023x+2d36 )
BugCheck 133, {0, 501, 500, 0}
BugCheck Info: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)

Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, A single DPC or ISR exceeded its time allotment. The offending
    component can usually be identified with a stack trace.
Arg2: 0000000000000501, The DPC time count (in ticks).
Arg3: 0000000000000500, The DPC time allotment (in ticks).
Arg4: 0000000000000000

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x133
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x133_DPC_usb8023x!Unknown_Function

BIOS Version                  0401
  BIOS Release Date             04/01/2014
  Manufacturer                  System manufacturer
  Baseboard Manufacturer        ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
  Product Name                  System Product Name
  Baseboard Product             A78M-E
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only.
Any drivers in RED should be updated or removed from your system. And should have been discussed in the body of my post.
**************************Fri Oct 30 12:05:39.242 2015 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
SPorts.sys                  Mon Aug 17 08:07:05 2009 (4A8947E9)
ANDROIDUSB.sys              Mon Oct 26 04:54:23 2009 (4AE563BF)
usbfilter.sys               Tue Aug 28 21:27:12 2012 (503D6FF0)
amd_sata.sys                Tue Jul 23 04:06:27 2013 (51EE3983)
amd_xata.sys                Tue Jul 23 04:06:39 2013 (51EE398F)
RTKVHD64.sys                Tue Oct 22 08:31:34 2013 (52667026)
AODDriver2.sys              Tue Feb 11 06:06:52 2014 (52FA044C)
rt640x64.sys                Tue May  5 12:21:03 2015 (5548EDEF)
AtihdWT6.sys                Mon May 25 21:21:51 2015 (5563CAAF)
mbam.sys                    Tue Aug 11 13:35:19 2015 (55CA3257)
atikmpag.sys                Fri Aug 21 21:45:00 2015 (55D7D41C)
atikmdag.sys                Fri Aug 21 22:10:03 2015 (55D7D9FB)
SPorts.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ANDROIDUSB.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=usbfilter.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=amd_sata.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=amd_xata.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RTKVHD64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=AODDriver2.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=rt640x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=AtihdWT6.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=mbam.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmpag.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmdag.sys

Edited by usasma, 01 November 2015 - 05:45 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:38 AM

Thank for taking the time to help me with this, you are providing a terrific service.

Here are the things I have done so far to clean up my machine:

• Updated ASUS BIOS from 0401 to 1401
  • Removed all the HTC software I could find. I don't really know what the HTC Remote NDIS based Device was, perhaps I tried to set up a wireless hotspot? The only thing I use HTC for was to connect my phone via USB cable to manage my photos. I don't care for sync programs.
  • Removed the High-Speed PCIe Serial Port (COM3) card and sport.sys driver. I only use this card a few times a year to link my Garmin GPS.  I did see there is a newer driver, which is Vista compatible, the old one just went up to XP. I'll hold off on trying anything now until I'm sure this BSOD is resolved.
  • Don't think I made any progress with the 2 ApphelpHardBlock errors in the WER section of MSINFO32.
  • ​Removed all AMD programs and Drivers and reinstalled with the latest  AMD Catylyst.
  • Couldn't find AMD OverDrive (AODDriver2.sys). Perhaps it was part of the AMD software I uninstalled/reinstalled.
  • Uninstalled regrepair

So, now we wait and see how things work.  Any further suggestions?

Again, thanks.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

Now we wait and see if the BSOD's return.

If they do, please zip up the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump and upload it with your next post.

If you have trouble zipping it, copy it to your Desktop and zip it from there.

#8 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:39 PM

After about 6 hours it finally crashed again.

The machine had sat idle for perhaps an hour and when I came back I had the Black Screen of Death.  "Boot Load Manager Status 0xc000000F Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible".

I went into the BIOS and for some reason my SSD was not on the screen for the boot order. However, I was able to pull it up in another method. So, I guess the machine crashed, then couldn't reboot because it couldn't find the SSD. I did a search and it turns out other people have the same problem with some ASUS boards. The fix is simple but inconvenient, turn off the power supply switch for a few minutes, then it boots up just fine.

Actually, I recall this same thing happening a couple months ago with the 0401 BIOS. Like I said above, I am now on the ASUS 14-1 BIOS.

Here are the dump files.

Attached Files

Edited by MurphyMan, 02 November 2015 - 12:00 AM.

#9 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:57 PM

i was poking around and found the omgdebugging app, so I ran it. Here is the output.

Attached Files

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:11 AM

Same drivers are present and the same driver is blamed.

I'd suggest trying a Reset using the Keep My Files option - but am unsure of how it'll work with these drivers.

If that doesn't work, then I'd suggest trying a Reset using the Remove Everything option - but be sure to backup your stuff first.

Good luck!

Analysis:
The following is for informational purposes only.
**************************Sun Nov  1 07:21:09.960 2015 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\SysnativeBSODApps\110115-6796-01.dmp]
System Uptime:0 days 16:13:29.657
Probably caused by :usb8023x.sys ( usb8023x!CancelSendsTimerDpc+57 )
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, A single DPC or ISR exceeded its time allotment. The offending
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x133_DPC_usb8023x!CancelSendsTimerDpc
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
**************************Sat Oct 31 15:06:54.055 2015 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\SysnativeBSODApps\103115-6656-01.dmp]
System Uptime:0 days 7:07:24.188
Probably caused by :usb8023x.sys ( usb8023x!CancelSendsTimerDpc+5b )
Arguments:
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x133_DPC_usb8023x!CancelSendsTimerDpc

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only.
**************************Sun Nov  1 07:21:09.960 2015 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
SPorts.sys                  Mon Aug 17 08:07:05 2009 (4A8947E9)
ANDROIDUSB.sys              Mon Oct 26 04:54:23 2009 (4AE563BF)
usbfilter.sys               Tue Aug 28 21:27:12 2012 (503D6FF0)
amd_sata.sys                Tue Jul 23 04:06:27 2013 (51EE3983)
amd_xata.sys                Tue Jul 23 04:06:39 2013 (51EE398F)
RTKVHD64.sys                Tue Oct 22 08:31:34 2013 (52667026)
AODDriver2.sys              Tue Feb 11 06:06:52 2014 (52FA044C)
rt640x64.sys                Tue May  5 12:21:03 2015 (5548EDEF)
AtihdWT6.sys                Mon May 25 21:21:51 2015 (5563CAAF)
mbam.sys                    Tue Aug 11 13:35:19 2015 (55CA3257)
atikmpag.sys                Fri Aug 21 21:45:00 2015 (55D7D41C)
atikmdag.sys                Fri Aug 21 22:10:03 2015 (55D7D9FB)
SPorts.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ANDROIDUSB.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=usbfilter.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=amd_sata.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=amd_xata.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RTKVHD64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=AODDriver2.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=rt640x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=AtihdWT6.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=mbam.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmpag.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmdag.sys

#11 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:21 AM

I don't know how that SPorts.sys driver managed to come back.  I deleted it once through Device Manager.  Oh well, I deleted it again, rebooted the machine and verified that it is gone gone. I also did a Search This PC and it didn't turn up anywhere.

Now I'll let this thing run for 24 hours and see if it crashes at all.

Again, thanks for the help.

#12 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:58 AM

22-1/2 hours and no crashes.

Happy.

#13 CloudDay