Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-hacker forums or apps/programs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:23 PM

Have you noticed there are hardly any anti-hacker forums or anti-hacking software or apps.

Most of the few apps/programs themselves that I have found are suspected of being a form of malware themselves.

Wonder why that is?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

Its a conspiracy....

utl8q0-5.png

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

By definition of security software, anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware programs deal with some of the attempted and/or successful effects from outside hackers.  System and program monitoring and reporting programs can alert end-user of not only desired activities but also possible PUP activity and/or for-sure undesired activities.  Boards such as this one encourage end-users, who are 80-90% responsible for computer security, to think better about and do better within computer security, and, ditto concerning foiling hackers.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

Whats your definition of an anti-hacker forum? Wouldn't a computer centric help site like Bleeping Computer be considered one? We cover a wide variety of security topics. As well as are a leader in covering and addressing the relatively emerging plague of ransomware.

One of the potentially logical reasons for the minimal amount of Anti-Hacking apps or software as you describe it. it is due to the myriad ways that a target can be 'hacked'. You would have to have a full blown suite of apps to cover all the vectors to fit the description of Anti-Hacking software. In my personal opinion the term is too vague to have a single topic, forum or application fill that need. It's a multi-layered approach just like you would apply to your computer. I feel the apps, programs and forums currently exist. Just not in the singular fashion you my think they should.

Malicious 'hacking' tools and methods change as defenses are deployed. It is a fast moving and shifting landscape and not as easy to be containerized and published for general consumption as one would think. The information would be stale and out dated in a very short amount of time.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:19 PM

Animal I think you hit the nail square on the head.  The possible attack vectors involved are staggering and constantly changing.  Malware writers and hackers intermix each others stuff all the time and have been for years.

I once a long time ago audited a number of ethical hacking classes at a local university.

At one point as a class project we cataloged over 10,000 possible attack vectors at that time. This was almost 25 years ago.

Besides when you discuss this too much in a open forum you can give would be hackers too many ideas. LOL

One of the reasons I quit studying computer security many many years ago.  I tended to have too big a mouth and gave away too many possibilities.

#6 palerider2

palerider2

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:06 PM

There could be more information about how to protect against hacking (I could give examples) but people aren't generally at risk.

Ask yourself: why would I be a target of hacking ?

If you run a business then yes, you could become a target.

Individuals generally aren't interesting enough to be targets. My 2cents.

Edited by palerider2, 31 October 2015 - 05:06 PM.

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:55 PM

A users computer alone is a very valuable commodity to bot net builders they buy them trade them and rent them out all the time. The information stored on them is often of no interest to some of them at all. The use of the computer itself is their main interest.

There are many different types of hacker, mostly dealing with making a profit. Altho there exists those who hack just because they can. "Look Ma look what I can do."
Generally profit direct or indirect is the objective.

#8 palerider2

palerider2

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

As a general rule, I find https sites are safer to use than http. And sites which work even when scripting is turned off are safer as well.

I like using BleepingComputer because scripting isn't required.

However HTTPS in the future is something I really hope for. (pls Grinler :) )

And, say your PC is being hacked, there is a wonderful resource at www.grc.com (and it is https, with no scripting). On there select Security Now and download 13 podcasts.

The podcast numbers and topics to understand are :
509 Soho routers
355 483 504 HTTPS
453 454 501 Revocation
516 Flash
221 Javascript
484 Windows and howtoreplaceyourpc.com
260 DNS
16 315 UPnP

I feel it's helpful to have a bit of direction when the number of podcasts is so large.

I'd like to ask dannyboy, what advice you'd give against being recruited to a botnet ? I assume the attack would be designed so that the user knew nothing about it.

Edited by palerider2, 31 October 2015 - 07:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users