Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

harddrives unreachable

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gotsaed

gotsaed

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

I have 2 internal hardrives that i connect to my computer via usb adapter
The problem is that I cannot find them anywhwere. Not in my computer or in bios. They are both western digital, 1 terrabyte in size and I just need to wipe them I also have 1 with 3 terrabyte that connects fine. When I connect it the message  " you need to format the disk before you can use it" comes up. I don't want to do that because it has files on it I would like to keep. 
I'm not sure what to do about it so I would appreciate some help. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

Do they show up in disk management? 

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:48 PM

An unformatted hard drive...will never appear in My Computer.  Formatting, partitioning, drive letter...those are how Windows identifies useable storage space.

An unformatted drive may or may not be reflected in Disk Management, IME.  I can say that it "should" but I won't say that it "will".

Louis

#4 gotsaed

gotsaed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

No they do not show in disk management.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:20 PM

What is the OS of the computer? Have you tried attaching the drivers to another USB port or computer? What is the USB adapter you are using?

Are the drives 2.5 or 3.5? Have these drives been detected before on this computer and when did the problem start?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 October 2015 - 06:21 PM.

#6 gotsaed

gotsaed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:48 PM

At the moment  win 8.1 but I tried it on win 7 ultimate too. I have two adapters, one is an usb 2 to sata/ide cable and the other is an opened extenal disk attachment from Medion. the drives are 3.5 and the 2 come from discarded cmputers. the 3tb comes from a Medion nas server. I can hear the drives running but one of the 1tbs has a clicking sound.

#7 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

I got to say this, but unfortunately it's the dreaded click of death.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:03 PM

Clicking is not a good sign in a hard drive. If the drives are 3.5 you will need an external power brick along with the adapter. Are you using a power brick with the adapters?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users