Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Freeze every 2-3 days without BSOD without heavy use

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 marquiskissel

marquiskissel

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:27 AM

Hey guys! Thanks so much for the help. It is amazing that there are people willing to solve these kinds of problems.

Every 2 or 3 days my computer will freeze totally and have to be rebooted via power cycle. There is no BSOD. The mouse and screen freeze with the image displayed frozen in place. If audio was playing, it freezes too and turns into just a horrible buzzing sound. It does not matter how long I leave the computer like this, it stays stuck and I have to power cycle. 

There is not any predictable cause----usually it happens when I am just browsing the internet.

I have run a chkdsk and memory diagnostic test and both came up as passes. Any ideas how to figure out what is going on here?

System info:

-Windows 10 x64, but the motherboard is pretty old.

-I bought a Windows 10 retail install when it came out, but the freezing didn't start until a month or so after that.

-HP DC5750 microtower box and motherboard but hard drive was replaced by me and installed a real graphics card 3 or 4 years ago. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marquiskissel

marquiskissel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:38 AM

also, an avast scan just now came up clean for malware and viruses. 

In case it helps; the most recent crash was yesterday at 8:30 AM Central.

Edited by marquiskissel, 30 October 2015 - 10:38 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:05 PM

This is a very old system.  The likelihood of it being fully compatible with W10 is very low.
FWIW - I had a Lenovo x61t tablet with a 2007 BIOS that wouldn't run W8 reliably - so I had to revert to W7 to get acceptable performance.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version v02.22) dates from 2007.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

You have a D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N Nano USB Adapter.  It's driver dates from 2015 just efore W10 was released:

I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices. Even if it's not being used, just that it remains connected to the computer.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7 and later systems - using older drivers with them is almost certain to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have the latest W7/8/8.1/10 drivers - DO NOT use older drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

You have issues with a PS2 keyboard and mouse.  These errors are safe to disregard if you're using a USB keyboard and mouse

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 marquiskissel

marquiskissel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:08 PM

Hey usasma! Thanks for the info. I use a USB keyboard and mouse and a regular ethernet connection instead of the wireless one you mentioned. I believe my Bios is the most recent one. I attached the event viewer log as requested. It looks like we are indeed looking at the error code 41. Scenario 3 in the microsoft link you shared seems to describe the situation I am experiencing as a hard-lock.

I will run the temperature monitor utility you provided, but my hardware has not changed, so I doubt that is the issue. I am also going to try running a more robust memory checking tool. 

I really appreciate your help with this! 

Attached Files

#5 marquiskissel

marquiskissel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:47 PM

BTW, I was wrong on the BIOS, but I have now flashed the newest version which is still only from 2012.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:27 AM

W8/8.1/10 all interact with the BIOS much more than previous OS's - so that is a concern (but you can't do anything about it if there aren't any updates).

The WiFi thing is still installed - even if you're not using it.

Please uninstall the software - and physically remove the device (if it is attached to the system)

The best memory checkers are (IMO) MemTest86+ and Prime95's Blend test - both are needed to get the best testing results.

The Admin logfile looks typically like a W10 installation on a well-used system.

I'd suggest reviewing/trying this stuff:

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 marquiskissel

marquiskissel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

Thanks again for the help here! This is good stuff! OK, I have reinstalled graphics driver and run the script to redo the windows apps as suggested. I have had two hard locks today already. I started monitoring my temps today. Without being under any real load, my CPU temps read about 70C for each core. My GPU reads at 66C. I don't know anything about normal temps but that seems high to me given there is no load. I will keep the temp monitor running and hopefully be able to note the temp if I get another hard lock. 

#8 marquiskissel

marquiskissel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

I dusted the fans inside my case. The front-of-case air intakes were pretty nasty, so I cleaned them as well. This seems to have lowered my CPU temps by about 5 to ten degrees C. I don't know if that was the problem, but I guess we will see. What do you think?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:36 AM

CPU temps should stay in the low 60's in most cases.  But I  wouldn't expect freezes until it hits the 90's (although this may not hold true with older CPU's).

Also, it's possible that other components are overheating, but they don't have sensors to tell you this.

#10 marquiskissel

marquiskissel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:48 AM

Well, I thought I had fixed the problem by lowering the temps, but after 2 days I got another hard lock-up. I ran Memtest86 last night and it came back clean. How do I run Prime95? Will it tell me what causes the error or will it just show there is an error?

I am going to do the built-in windows 10 refresh. If that doesn't work, is there an easy way to downgrade back to windows 8.1 without the install disks? I am outside of the 30 day window. Thanks again for your excellent advice!

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:50 AM

Here's some suggestions on Prime95 - http://www.carrona.org/prime95.html

Prime 95 may tell you if there are errors when it's running, or you may see problems with the system when it's running.

It will not tell you the cause of the error.

If you're past the 30 day period where you can revert, then you'll have to obtain W8 recovery media (and a product key) if you wish to reinstall it.

#12 marquiskissel

marquiskissel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the info. I have been running Prime95 for 15 hours with no problems so far. I will continue to run it for another 15 hours. Does this indicate that the issue is more likely to be operating system or driver based rather than hardware? It still seems weird to me that it is always a hard hang instead of a BSOD. I will reinstall windows 10 after the Prime 95 runs for the rest of the day and see if I get any more hangs this week.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:10 AM

Prime95 tests the RAM, CPU cache, and memory controller.

It does NOT test every facet of these components (for example, with the Blend test you may not find errors that MemTest picks up (or it may pickup errors that MemTest doesn't).

Also, because of it's testing method, it stresses the system, so it can be used to evaluate the system's cooling (if you monitor temps/if it crashes when running).

If you want to reinstall W10 then - please post back for some suggestions before reinstalling.

#14 marquiskissel

marquiskissel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

OK, I ran Prime95 for about 40 hours with no errors. My memtest86 run once came up with no errors. I ran Furmark for a couple hours with high temps but no errors. I have only had the one hard freeze since I cleaned the intakes on the case, but it still locked that one time despite lower temps. What are your suggestions for the Windows 10 reinstall? 

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

How high were the Furmark temps?

What were the temps when it did lock up?

Let's have a look at the most recent version of the Admin report please.

The W10 reinstall suggestions should make it more likely that the installation is trouble free ("should" being the key word here).

1)  Make sure that you have a backup of everything that's critical for you.

2)  Make sure that the current W10 installation is online and activated (that way it'll be registered with Microsoft's servers.

3)  Then install W10 "clean".  These instructions will help:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

When installing W10, tell it so skip the product key when first asked for it.  Then when asked for it a second time, tell it that you want to do it later.  As long as you're connected to the internet, the system should automatically activate - please be sure to check it once the installation has completed.

4)  Next step is to get all Windows Updates

5)  Then check Device Manager - and get any updates needed to fix errors/problem devices in Device Manager

6)  Get all available W10 updates for your system from Lenovo (to include updating the BIOS).

6a)  You may be able to get updates from other locations (that Lenovo doesn't offer) - but use the Lenovo lists to see what you'll have to look for.

Remember that this is an older system - so these steps may not fix all the issues.

If that's the case, then my suggestion is to revert to W7 or earlier (due to the age of the system)

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 10 November 2015 - 09:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users