Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Now What????

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

Today I attempted to download a free repair manual for my friend's car. I knew it was a big mistake. Got a whole bunch of malware which MBAM identified and quarantined but could not delete. I tried to uninstall the programs but could not. AVAST did a boot scan and quarantined some files but when I booted up I got the ugly blue screen error. Tried to reboot several times in safe mode but could not get to safe mode. Kept booting up normally. My desktop had a different background color and I still had a couple shortcuts from PUP's. PC would run just a minute or so before getting another blue screen. Getting nowhere, I restored to my last Macrium image from Oct 25 and all seems well.

Do I need to be concerned about what, if anything, malware was able to steal from my PC? For example, does someone now know my PC logon password or all of my bookmarked sites, etc? What should I do now? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:22 PM

Might be a good idea to change most if not all passwords:  windows login, your email's password [make it 15-17 characters long & note it in a hidden notebook], and some others. If your financials were in "plain view," watch for any unauthorized activity, and so on.  Do the email real soon.

Edited by RolandJS, 29 October 2015 - 07:23 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:00 PM

Might be a good idea to change most if not all passwords:  windows login, your email's password [make it 15-17 characters long & note it in a hidden notebook], and some others. If your financials were in "plain view," watch for any unauthorized activity, and so on.  Do the email real soon.

Done. Email passwords did not have as many characters as you suggest but they are rated strong. Thanks.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:01 AM

Done. Email passwords did not have as many characters as you suggest but they are rated strong. Thanks.

You're ahead of the curve!  I'd suggest making the email password as long as allowed, 15 or more characters.  Remember, your email address is The Key to many accounts of all kinds.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users