Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung SyncMaster T240 - broken cclf lamps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tadejmagajna

tadejmagajna

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:19 PM

Hi,

Today i bought a broken T240 monitor in the hopes of easily fixing it by replacing a few caps. The display problem was that the picture died about 2 seconds after showing picture. I did notice the light was very weak as well.

When I took the monitor apart it turned out that a pair of cclf lamps was broken (some yellowish liquid spilled around the area as well).

I searched ebay for replacement lamps and didn't get many results but I did find some replacement LED strips that would work even better if they fit.
So my question is: does anyone know whether these strips will work for my display? I do know the width of 540mm is correct. There is some explanation in the description of the item but I don't understand this broken Chinese English...

My second question is: When googling I noticed that about 99% percent of people that had this 2 second blackout problem sorted it by replacing the transformer. Now is it possible that the in my case the transformer is also broken and it's causing the 2 second blackout or is it plausible that this blackout is caused by the shattered cclf alone?

Thanks for your help guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:28 PM

If by transformer you mean the an HV transformer in the backlight inverter, then the kit you link to is intended to take the place of the inverter too, so the result should be the same either way.

Edited by Platypus, 29 October 2015 - 05:28 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 tadejmagajna

tadejmagajna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

By transformer I ment the invertver transformer . the TM-10160 one

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:53 PM

That was what I assumed. Since the kit eliminates the CCFL lamps and their inverters, in theory it should not matter if there was also a transformer problem. The instructions are vague, but if the monitor has a discrete inverter board, this one simply takes its place. There's more to it if the inverter(s) are on the PSU board, as is usually the case. In that situation you'd need to locate the supply and lamp on/off lines and transfer them to the LED inverter board. It's not clear to me from the information they give exactly how the brightness control function they mention is intended to operate.

#5 tadejmagajna

tadejmagajna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:03 PM

Yeah I'm not sure as well.. but this probably means that in no case will I be able to just plug the board where I plugged the CCLF lamps previously and get it working that way?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:11 PM

No, the operating principle is completely different.

#7 tadejmagajna

tadejmagajna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:38 PM

heh... we'll see how it goes when the package arrives. Thanks :)

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

Have fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users