Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Woes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ladyondemove

ladyondemove

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:25 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/593662/boot-from-usb-asus-desktop/ - Hamluis.

My computer will not reboot. I have windows 7 on one that i do not have a CD for so i downloaded it on USB drive and when i try to reboot it doesnt/  i used the command code chkdsk /f <driverletter>chldsl/f  and it says.system can not find the file specified

My new computer i just bought HP will not boot either.  I was on it and heard a popping noise such as when a light blows and since then all i get is a black screen can anyone please help me. both these are used for differen reasons. one is my work laptop and the other is for school.

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2015 - 03:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:40 AM

You have two computers with different problems.  I'm going to suggest that you address these problems one at a time.  Let's start with the first computer you posted about.

Please post the make and model of this computer.

What exactly happens when you try to boot this computer?

What error messages are you getting, please post the exact error.

About chkdsk, chkdsk is a command which has to be executed in the Elevated Command Prompt.  Since you can not boot into Windows you can not open the Elevated Command Prompt from there.  You will need the Windows 7 installation disk or have it loaded on a flash drive.  You "command code", how and or where did you enter the command?

To run chkdsk /r (the /r switch has the functionality of the /f switch with the additional analysis of physical disk errors) Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Copy and paste chkdsk /r in the command prompt, then press Enter.  Please note:  If this is a SSD, do not run the /r switch, use the /f switch.  

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users