Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Diagnostic test interrupted - need help

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 JR999

JR999

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

I'm not very tech but I do have some computer repair books that I keep around.

I'm  running an older laptop (Presario v6000), to practice on.

I installed a formatted HDD yesterday. To check it out I installed Win XP. Everything went good.

I had been using a bootable DVD Linux, a few times, w/o the HDD installed and it worked good.

Today, I thought I would try installing Ubuntu.

Instead of repartitioning with DISKPART, I opted to let Ubuntu install inside of XP.

The installation started & asked to reboot. That got me into a MEMORY TEST that I know nothing about. It ran for 1.5 hrs. All along it said, test complete w/ no errors. Pass 3 Test 7

I thought it may have been in a loop & pressed ESC to reboot.

Now, I think it was in the middle of repartitioning the HDD.

The screen is black & nothing is working. Is there anyway to restart anything?

As an outside chance... maybe something overheated. I found that a plastic bottle was getting a bit warm for an hr. behind the fan. I did have that back end propped up - as usual, to keep the machine cool.

Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

Is it possible to start the process [beginning with a USB or DVD boot] all over again?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

Is it possible to start the process [beginning with a USB or DVD boot] all over again?

Provided the hardware is ok Roland is correct, Your PC should still boot from the Live Disk, However I suspect you XP install might be toast.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:38 PM

. . . .  MEMORY TEST . . .  ran for 1.5 hrs . . . . test complete w/ no errors. Pass 3 Test 7 . . .

JR999,

What is (was) running was MemTest86.  It is a standard memory tester.  I use it a lot to confirm that RAM is working as it should.

The program did 3 complete passes on your system.  That it it ran through it's set of tests, 3 complete times.  It was partway through the 4th, when you stopped it.

Congradulations, there appears to be nothing wrong with your RAM!

As for the rest of it, does the notebook boot up still?  If it does, then carry on. 

I suggest that if you don't need Windows, to install from the CD/DVD. Then allow the install program to erase the entire disk and run Linux only.

If the system will not boot, you may have other hardware issues to deal with.  The problem could be with your video or an over heated CPU.

Try booting the system first, and let us know what happens.

Cheers!

Naught

Edited by Naught McNoone, 29 October 2015 - 04:40 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

If this is possible it would be nice to see your partition scheme in case it has partitions preventing the Ubuntu Install?

Some XP Installation Disks will have the whole drive full with a Recovery and tools Partitions etc.  This will prevent this kind of install, one would have to choose the "Something Else" Option instead of "Install Along Side of XP"  Here is a tutorial here at bc.com by cat1092.  It won't answer all your questions but we can.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579923/how-to-dual-boot-windows-ubuntu-based-linux-oss-mbr-method/

If you are able to reboot into LiveDVD, do you know how to use gparted Partition Editor? it is included in the LiveDVD, or if it's not, you can install with the Software Manager.  Just click on the Menu and type gparted, you will see the software to open - or the option to install it. 

Now with gparted open you can take a screenshot of your partitons (just open menu and type screenshot) or search the menu for it, and post it here via LiveDVD medium that you are using, or save it to a USB then post it from another pc.  Or there are other options to do this if you like.  Just make sure not to fool around in gparted as you can damage things worse, if that is possible lol, just kidding.  I think partitions were preventing the install, the "Along Side" option isn't always the best unless the partitions are in line with what the Installer likes.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:26 PM

Now I have more time.  

Alternatively, if you don't want to bother with the screenshots etc.

While in LiveDVD, open terminal and type inxi -Fx  even better Copy Paste so it is right, then press Enter.

Then do sudo fdisk -l and press Enter.

Highlight all that outcome > Right Click > Copy > Paste to your next post.  Note, you cannot use Ctrl+C, you have to Right Click to Copy or Paste anything in Terminal.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 JR999

JR999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:21 PM

Naught McNoone has it right and I thank all other replies. I certainly try them all.

I forgot to mention that the screen said Ubuntu was installed. EJECT Media and press enter > Which I did. Instead of restart like I expected the Memory tester started running.

What is (was) running was MemTest86.  It is a standard memory tester.  I use it a lot to confirm that RAM is working as it should.

The program did 3 complete passes on your system.  That it it ran through it's set of tests, 3 complete times.  It was partway through the 4th, when you stopped it. This is exactly right. HOW MANY PASSES WAS IT SUPPOSSED TO RUN? If I only knew.

Congratulations, there appears to be nothing wrong with your RAM!

As for the rest of it, does the notebook boot up still?  If it does, then carry on. NADA - ZIP. Only a black screen. I did remove the Memory and HDD & reinstalled them, into their slots.

I suggest that if you don't need Windows, to install from the CD/DVD. Then allow the install program to erase the entire disk and run Linux only. This  is what I should & could have done. I have no use for Win. M trying to learn Linux ASAP. Today was a learning experiment that went bad. I hope that posting here will help others. From now on I'll do separate partitions.

If the system will not boot, you may have other hardware issues to deal with.  The problem could be with your video or an over heated CPU. I've seen in repair books that video may have gone bad. I'll look into it.

Try booting the system first, and let us know what happens. I tried that a few times before posting here. I'll check back tomorrow - to follow up.

One question; I know machines & speeds are different but for a long diagnostic - is there any way for developers to state the process or estimated time it may take. All I saw was, "This could take a long time." Again, How many estimated hours or a meter stating how many passes & tests until complete. Short of that, I'll have to come here or go back to school.

Cheers!

Naught

#8 JR999

JR999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:40 PM

A Thank You to PCPunk for your write up. Ubuntu let me re-size the partition when I started. I thought maybe I interrupted a partitioning but it seems to be memory or something else. I'll work on it and post the results. Thanks again.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

I see, resize, I forgot about that.  Still need to try and boot into LiveDVD so we can see if you actually created any partitons and what XP partitions look like, can you do that?

Just start the pc and put the DVD in > Re-boot to see if LiveLinux will boot up.  Then refer to my directions above.  I assume the BootOrder is still set to DVD. 

Nick has the right idea though, it would be way easier just to erase XP and install Linux to all.  But, if you want to try keeping XP without a re-install, just get the info I asked for and it might help, XP might still be intact. 

I don't think we should jump to conclusions with the overheating and hardware issues, but that is just my common sense talking and not experience.  An old pc like this is might get a little hot when running diagnostics for that long.  You said it worked fine with XP so I would just move forward with the livedvd boot for now and see.

Good luck!

Edited by pcpunk, 30 October 2015 - 01:10 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:24 PM

. . . HOW MANY PASSES WAS IT SUPPOSSED TO RUN? If I only knew. . . .

. . . .Only a black screen. . . . remove the Memory and HDD & reinstalled them . . .

. . . . way for developers to . . .  estimated time . . . "This could take a long time." . . .

JR999,

Just for your info.  MemTest86 will run, and run, and run, untill you stop it!  The length of time to complete a pass is dependant of the speed of the system and the amount of RAM it has to check.

I once left it running for 24 hours, over 60 passes, to test a chip that was suspect.  It did report ramdom errors.  Not on every pass, but enought to show that it was causing a problem with the server it was installed in.

There are some manufacturers diagnostics that do give you and estimated time to completion.  HDD diagnostic programs are a good example, such as seatools or WDDiags.

You do seem to have some sort of hardware issue.  But before you start tearing everything appart, you may want to check a couple of things. 

Start by letting the notebook cool down.  Then unplug the power supply and remove the battery,  Wait a minute, then reconnect the power supply and try to turn it on again. (You can run the notebook on the power supply alone, without the battery installed.)

Lastly, just a freindly reminder to watch the cap lock key in the forums.   :)   I am deaf, but I can hear your typing just fine!  :busy:

Cheers!

Naught

#11 JR999

JR999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

I have unplugged, removed & replaced (HDD, 512 Ram x2), plus tried LIVE DVD XP and Linux.

Nothing but a black screen.

I do hear the machine (probably) searching for boot selection. IE: DVD, HDD, USB, Floppy and then turns off. (but NOT power off).

I suspect I lost a bios setup or the video isn't showing. Is there any way to flash this? (AMD K8 Turion)

Just for your info.  MemTest86 will run, and run, and run, until you stop it!  The length of time to complete a pass is dependent of the speed of the system and the amount of RAM it has to check. So I was right to press ESC after 1.5 hrs and 3 passes.

Again, the screen said Ubuntu was installed. EJECT Media and press enter > Which I did. Instead of restart like I expected, the Memory tester started running.  I suppose that XP is still there too.

Lastly, just a friendly reminder to watch the cap lock key in the forums.   :)   I am deaf, but I can hear your typing just fine!  :busy:

My CAPS lock wasn't on. I was using bold, as my way of separating what you had wrote from my reply. Do you like the underline or italics better?  :thumbup2:

I'll check back later tonight. Thanks for your help, guys.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

Seems as though I was wrong and it is hardware as Naught and others suggested, but sounds like video of some kind.  I'm out, good luck I don't know anything about this issue.  Maybe you can try a external video of some kind to diagnose.  Probably wont work without some kind of internal setup but you could try.

https://superuser.com/questions/307502/diagnosing-servicing-a-notebook-gpu

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

My CAPS lock wasn't on. I was using bold, as my way of separating what you had wrote from my reply. Do you like the underline or italics better?  :thumbup2:

JR999,

Forgive an old man, if you would.   :) I still like to use the text base editor.  I have been using it since I first started with compuserve.   :) 

Cheers!

Naught

#14 JR999

JR999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

I guess I may be beating a dead horse here. One last thought.

I had installed the XP OS the day before onto a formatted HDD. Installing Ubuntu inside XP (after resizing the partition) was just to see if it would work.

I was going to later DISKPART and make the HDD into a LINUX only machine.

The thing is... I never activated the Product ID which sends the XP OS into inoperable after 30 days.

Since XP wasn't fully signature / authorized, I wonder if  XP tanked the install?

Now, a few topics down, I see something about -- Secure Boot and Windows Bootloader in the BIOS.

Any thoughts, besides a newer machine.

I'll keep this one around for a long term puzzle.

#15 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

. . . Ubuntu inside XP . . .  resizing the partition . . .

. . . never activated. . .   XP tanked the install?

. . . Secure Boot and Windows Bootloader in the BIOS.

JR999,

When the install program resized your windows partition, it made it smaller, so that it could create a new partition for Linux.  Ubuntu is installed in it's own separate bootable partition.  Your resized XP partition will have no affect on the Ubuntu install.

As I see it, your problem now is that the note book has no video when you turn it on.  This is a hardware issue, and not an operating system error.

So, lets start with the basics.

1.  Do you see anything on the screen when you turn it on? 

2.  If not, did you try resetting the notebook, as I mentioned earlier, by powering it off and removing the power cord and battery?

3.  Have you tried adjusting the brightness control on the keyboard?

4.  Have you tried hooking the notebook up to a monitor, using the external VGA port on the rear?

Try all of the above options, and get back to me with the results.

Cheers!

Naught.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users