Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Spybot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:19 PM

I downloaded and installed Spybot. When it finds a potential problem (e.g. my ISP trying to access the internet), it should show me the program/URL that is trying to access the internet and allow me to click if ok.

But the message box appears "squished", so that the clickbox overlays the informational text telling me what I am allowing/disallowing; and I can't always figure out what the text is.

I thought that perhaps my download had been corrupted, so I uninstalled, removed the folder, downloaded again, and reinstalled. But I still have the same problem.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it a bug?

I have Windows XP and a dial-up modem (DSL and wireless are not yet available in my area!)

Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:26 PM

I think most users have this annoying problem. Just remember that the left button is allow and the right is deny.
There may be a fix for this and maybe someone else has used it and will comment.

There are some repairs listed here:forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5464
Most people I think are waiting for Spybot to come out with a fix or new version. I think that is the safest thing to do.

Edited by buddy215, 20 July 2006 - 09:38 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:23 AM

This is a known problem with Spybot 1.4
You can find more information about this, here:
Spybot/Alert Dialog, Not complete

Scarlett posted a link to a couple of temporary fixes:
TeaTimer fixes
I used the first one, and it worked.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:23 PM

Thanks, all. It's comforting to know it's not just me encountering this problem. I guess I'll just hold tight and wait for Spybot to come out with a fix. Meanwhile, I'll just use AdAware & my Internet Security Suite.

Thanks again.

#5 maggie6243

maggie6243

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

Spybot has had a problem with tea timer for at least a year,maybe longer. I had the same problem about a year ago. I uninstalled and reinstalled without tea timer and everything is ok. I can't believe they haven't fixed it by now.

#6 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

This is a problem i think we have all shared, but if you follow the link by tg1911 to what Scarlet has linked,then you should be able to resolve your problem.

Just follow the instructions as they are and it will take you less than a minute.

That very solution is what i used to fix mine, it is from the Spybot forums
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#7 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:35 AM

Thanks, all. I used Scarlett's fix, and it worked!

Problem resolved by bleeping computer friends once again.
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users