Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with creating a PC WiFi Hotspot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:51 AM

I work in a buiding that has public WiFi but the signal does not reach my floor.  I've recently read about how you can create a hotspot on a PC and share it's wired Ethernet connection.  However, I keep hitting a dead end and need some assistance.

I have a Dell OptiPlex 7010 running Win7 Pro, which is a member of a Network Domain.  The Firewall is provided by SEP 12.1.2015.2015.  Internet access is provided through an off site Proxy server, but I have the IP address of this server.  My goal is to connect 3 Android devices to my own hotspot, a Samsung S6 phone, a Motorola MotoX phone and a Kindle Fire HD tablet.

I purchased a USB WiFi adapter and have installed it.  I've gone into the Network settings and shared the Local Area Connection which is associated with the Ethernet connection and have shared it with this adapter.

First I attempted to run the Windows based commands for netsh.....   and was able to create my Hotspot.  Each of the 3 devices sees the hotspot, but none of them attach.  The phones get a message: Failed to obtain IP address.  The Kindle gets a message: DHCP Error - Could not connect to internet.

Upon further research, I read that Android devices can have issues with the Windows WiFi connection and it was recommended to use Connectify.  I downloaded and installed this app and then purchased the Hotspot Pro version.  Connectify also creates my hotspot without a problem and all 3 devices are able to see it and they are able to connect.  Each device shows up in the client list.  However, none of them can access the Internet, the respective browsers keep failing, Chrome on the phones and Silk on the Kindle.  Since I purchased the Pro version I'm eligible for tech support.  I generated a log file and emailed it to Connectify, but have not heard back yet.

I then tried using Virtual Router, downloaded and installed it.  Again I was able to create my hotspot, all 3 devices were able to see it and connect.  Again, none of them can access the Internet.

At this point, I assume that the problem lies with the Proxy server, so again I did more research.  I found info on nltmaps and Python, the language it is written in.  Here is where things get very murky, as I am not a programmer and have very little experience in this area.

I downloaded both NTLM Authorization Proxy Server and Python 3.5.0 and installed both.  I edited the server.cfg file with the appropriate information: Parent_Proxy, Parent_Proxy_Port, Allow_External_Clients, NT_Hostname, NT_Domain, User and Password.

I then ran the shortcut created for Ntlmaps which runs "ntlmaps.exe -c server.cfg"  and receive the message: Now listening at <myPCname> on port 5865

I again tried both Connectify and Virtual Router with the same results.  All 3 devices see the hotspot, they connect but they cannot access the Internet.

Then I read something about adding ./main.py to the command line.  So now when I run the shortcut for Ntlmaps it runs  "ntlmaps.exe -c server.cfg ./main.py.  Again I receive the message:  Now listening at <myPCname> on port 5865.  Still no Internet

I'm now at a complete loss and would appreciate any help!  Please be specific in any replies, as I'm a beginner in this area of Ntlmaps

Do I simply have something configured incorrectly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:32 PM

The network domain IT staff may have things setup to not allow unknown/unauthorized devices to connect through the domain, only though the public WiFi.

#3 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:43 AM

SpywareDoc, the Internet access is controlled via Proxy servers, as I mentioned.  However, I am a member of the local IT staff in my area and I have complete Internet access via a Proxy ID and Password.  While I do not have any control on these servers, I do have the IP address and port of the server in my geographical location.

My issue lies in getting my Proxy authentication info applied when trying to use either Connectify or Virtual Router, on my PC based WiFi.  My phones and Kindle Fire HD are connecting to this WiFi, but none of them can access the Internet.

Upon further research, it was suggested to add information to the Advanced options for my WiFi network on each device.  I've tried using a static IP Address and adding the Proxy server info, as well as my authentication info into this area.  Still no luck accessing the Internet.

If you can think of anything else, please let me know!

#4 Peter Cabrera

Peter Cabrera

• Banned Spammer
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:30 AM

Guys is it possible to make a PC hot spot with Ethernet Connection?

#5 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

Peter Cabrera, yes it is which is exactly what I have done.  The PC needs a WiFi card to do this and it can be a USB adapter.  You simply share the Ethernet Connection with that WiFi adapter.  Windows 7 and above has the built in ability to create a Hotspot, using some simple DOS commands.  However, I found using Connectify or Virtual Router to be a lot easier.

In my instance I was dealing with a Proxy server that controls the Internet access on my Ethernet connection.

Finally figured out how to connect to my Hotspot and have Internet access on my 3 Android devices.  Work had mutliple Proxy servers in use and from time to time, I need to re-authenticate my credentials.  That occured this morning from another one of these Proxy servers.  On my Android devices, I entered this Proxy's information into the Advanced features of my WiFi connections and finally I was prompted to enter my Proxy Username and Password.  It is the screen I have been waiting to see.

The downside................I finally have Intenet access on these Android devices thru my PC's Ehernet connection, but all activity will still be reported to the Proxy access 'police', so I still can't surf unconditionally!  Oh well.......it was worth the try!!

#6 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:02 PM

OK, so now I'm trying to continue on my Adroid devices that finally have access to the Internet thru my Connectify Hotspot.  I'm trying to establish a VPN on my Android phone using Tunnelbear.  I've downloaded and installed the app and created a Login account, which has been verified.  I tried Tunnelbear on it's own and the VPN is created.  Now I want to establish this VPN on my Connectify Hotspot.

On the work PC I launch my Connectify Hotspot.  On my phone, I add the proper Proxy info to my WiFi connection and as stated above, I have Internet access.  The I open Tunnelbear and select my tunnel location.  I get to the Login screen, enter my credentials and keep getting bounced back to the Login screen. 

I've contacted Tunnelbear support, but thougth I'd throw this out there.  Again, any help would be appreciated!!

#7 Peter Cabrera

Peter Cabrera

• Banned Spammer
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:34 AM

Peter Cabrera, yes it is which is exactly what I have done.  The PC needs a WiFi card to do this and it can be a USB adapter.  You simply share the Ethernet Connection with that WiFi adapter.  Windows 7 and above has the built in ability to create a Hotspot, using some simple DOS commands.  However, I found using Connectify or Virtual Router to be a lot easier.

In my instance I was dealing with a Proxy server that controls the Internet access on my Ethernet connection.

Finally figured out how to connect to my Hotspot and have Internet access on my 3 Android devices.  Work had mutliple Proxy servers in use and from time to time, I need to re-authenticate my credentials.  That occured this morning from another one of these Proxy servers.  On my Android devices, I entered this Proxy's information into the Advanced features of my WiFi connections and finally I was prompted to enter my Proxy Username and Password.  It is the screen I have been waiting to see.

The downside................I finally have Intenet access on these Android devices thru my PC's Ehernet connection, but all activity will still be reported to the Proxy access 'police', so I still can't surf unconditionally!  Oh well.......it was worth the try!!

Thanks alot for the detailed answer. I will try it surely.I wish It will done all right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users