Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't log into my Acer laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 deedee138

deedee138

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

Hi all.
I have an Acer Aspire V5-573G, recently upgraded to Windows 10 a few weeks ago.
Was using my laptop this morning just fine but tonight when I turned it on, I get to the password log in and I can't type in my password.
I can still move the cursor around the screen and go back to the screen displaying the time/date before the password log in screen.
I just can't type in my password! Nothing happens.
Also the little icons in the bottom right corner are dull, the clock symbol and the power symbol, although the wifi symbol is highlighted as it's connected.
I've unplugged all external hard drives and even turned off my wifi.
Don't know what else to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

This response is not intended to be snarky:  wait and watch your HDD activity light.

I have had certain occasions where the login screen comes up but the password field remains stippled out and when that has occurred there has been a lot of HDD activity going on, which always completes within a short time and everything's back to normal.

Is your password field active, as in has a white background and you can see the cursor in it, or is it stippled out when you're having this problem?

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 deedee138

deedee138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:25 PM

The HDD light seems to be normal.

The password field is a gray/white colour and I can see the cursor on it.
I can't click on the password field though.
And I can click on the three icons in the bottom right corner as well.
Can't** click on the three icons in the bottom

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:08 PM

deedee138,

This sounds like a variant on a problem I have going on with a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop.  It's a throw of the dice whether the computer will respond to mousepad input from the get go or keep responding to it later.  I thought it was a driver issue but have yet to find any driver that will keep things working like they should.

Try using an external USB mouse to see if it will work for you.  It's much, much more consistent in its behavior than the mousepad.  Not that this is a final or satisfactory solution but at least you have a sense as to whether this extends to all pointing devices or not.

Also, Win10 uses a hybrid shutdown that's somewhat like a cross between hibernation and a true, full shutdown.  I think I've already posted screen shots on another thread regarding how to tweak shutdown such that it's an actual shutdown.  Win10 also is pretty aggressive (at least in my view) with regard to sleeping the computer with its default power settings and some machines are much crankier than others with regard to waking up.

Edited by britechguy, 29 October 2015 - 10:10 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I got a driver for my Inspiron 4515 from The Unofficial Windows 10 Reinstallation Guide

Took some trial and error, but it worked. Now, I see they have Win 10 drivers. Gotta try one of those.

#6 deedee138

deedee138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:52 PM

It just started working again on its own.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

acemaria,

You need to post this on the Windows 8 forum.  Also, have you tried bringing up Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) then using the tab key to get yourself down to the power/shutdown option in order to do a clean shutdown?

#8 Ruvik2451

Ruvik2451

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:50 AM

deedee138,

Good day sir/ma'am, how do you fix your problem? I have exactly the same problem as you. How exactly it started by again by its own? You just try and try it. And then one day, when you open it again, you can type your password again? How long sir/ma'am? 

Please help me I don't know what to do. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users