Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

After Upgrading, Can't Get 1440x900 Display Resolution

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 larrytxeast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

I have a computer I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. it was Windows 7 Ultimate. It has a 19" Acer X193W monitor with a resolution of 1440x900.

After upgrading to Windows 10 Pro last night,it won't provide that setting. I've even tried "Custom Resolutions Utility" at monitortests.com, a utility which is supposed to provide a custom resolution, but I can't get it to work properly--it wipes out EVERYTHING and doesn't add the settings I tell it to. I can't find the driver for the monitor, nor the driver for the adapter. (By the way, why is it so hard to find these things, and why do so many pages which purport to instead bombard you with "download" links to things that are not that at all? Major "ugh!")

Is there an EASY and I mean EASY (as in it might take me 45 seconds, TOTAL) way to FORCE this computer with Windows 10 to provide a 1440x900 setting? Otherwise I'm rolling it back to Windows 7, or throwing it into the pool. This is ridiculous.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,535 posts
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:12 AM

Were I you I would make a visit to your monitor manufacturer's website to see if they've posted a new device driver for your monitor that's noted to be compatible with Windows 10.  That and check with your computer manufacturer's website to see if any new display drivers have been posted for your hardware.

It has amazed me how many problems have occurred secondary to driver issues with regard to Win10.  You'd think that if a device driver worked for any Windows version from 7 onward it should be compatible with 10, given what these things do, but many are not.

Sorry, but there is no 45-second solution, and a rollback is certainly not in that category.  I'd certainly check for updated drivers before doing the rollback if you really would like to stay with Win10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users