Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 spottap

spottap

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

Hi, My friend is having a problem with her pc, she is running windows xp pro and all of a sudden the desktop icons are gone. There is nothing on her desktop except the picture. She has tried to right click on the desktop, but nothing happens. We tried alt,ctrl and delete to get the task manager up, but once we do that nothing on that works. We tried to start the pc in safe mode, but it wont start that way either. She can't shut the pc down by using the button, she has to unplug the computer. Is there anything else we can do

Thanks

Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:35 AM

When in Task Manager, select the File menu item... then select New Task (Run). In the box that pops up type in "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Let us know if this works and then we can proceed onto other troubleshooting steps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 gatetech72

gatetech72

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:45 AM

Another thing you can do in the taskmanager is goto file then newtask run then type msconfig. disable all startup items under the startup tab and reboot. If all your icons come back. Go back to msconfig check two or three at a time untill the issue startes again. Which ever startup items were checked last. One of them is causing the problem

#4 spottap

spottap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:36 PM

We tried taskmanager and i asked her to go to new task and type msconfig. but when she clicks on new task, nothing happens. the only thing we can get to work at all is to get the taskmanager to come up, but once it is up, and she clicks on anything nothing happens. Sorry it has taken me this long to get back, but we are trying to work on this by telephone, as my friend doesnt live close to me.

she borrowed a computer from a friend, so that she could talk to her hubby who is away on a military trip.

Thanks for you help

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:50 PM

Do you have either a Windows Installation CD or a Restore disk supplied by the computer's manufacturer?

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 July 2006 - 08:51 PM.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:10 PM

Just a note - if you're trying to shut the computer down with the button, you usually have to hold it in for about five seconds before it will have any effect.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:49 PM

That's not good for the computer though. It can cause corrupted files.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:07 PM

So can pulling the plug.

#9 spottap

spottap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:16 PM

She has no idea where the windows cd or the restore cd is, her hubby is usually the one that takes care of that stuff. She has held the button in and still nothing happens. It is hard for me to help her, when i can't sit in front of her computer to see what i can do, and she isn't very good with computers.

thanks

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:55 AM

If she can start the computer in safe mode with command prompt:

If this is a recent problem and she knows when it began she can use Windows System Restore to revert the computer's system state to a date that preceeds the problem.

1.Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2.Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3.Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4.Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users