Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Hp Laptop Is A Brick, I Need Help Please

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:25 AM

Howdy Ya All,

Kind of a long story but the laptop really belongs to my Daughter. I went to visit my Daughter the other night and she asked me if I could look at her laptop. When she turned it on it took about 6 minutes for the laptop to start up and when it did the screen was so distorted with what appeared to be digital interference or electrical interference or something that caused lines and such on the screen that you could barely see the desktop. She said it had been like that for a couple of weeks and because we could not see the screen clearly the only way to shut it off was by popping out the battery. So I agreed to bring it home to look at it, I figured that I couldn't do any harm to it. (Boy was I wrong.)

The laptop is an HP 2000 2b43dx. She had previously tried to upgrade to Windows 10 through the upgrade process, and I think that was the beginning of her problems. When I brought it home I immediately set about doing some tests so I got into the test menu by hitting F2 upon start up and I ran tests for different performance and hardware issues that it passed. After the 5th test which I believe was for memory, which it passed, I hit EXIT just like I had done for the previous tests, which should have restarted the computer, but when it shut off and fired back up the computer appeared dead. The screen was completely blank. The fan runs and the LED on the power button lights up, but other than that it seems dead.

I tried a couple of things like this, http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/The-EZ-Way-To-Unbrick-After-WinPhlash-Bios-Update-Failure/td-p/548195 but it did not work. I also opened up the computer and popped out the little CMOS battery and put it back in and I sprayed air on the inside when I had it open. The laptop really seems dead and I want to try something else before I just through it away, but I don't know what to do. Help me please to fix this Bleeping Computer.

Rocky Bennett

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:03 AM

Hi long time friend!

Did you try taking out one ram stick out at a time? Maybe a RAM stick blew during the process. Damn that Windows 10 upgrade! 

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:10 AM

Hi long time friend!

Did you try taking out one ram stick out at a time? Maybe a RAM stick blew during the process. Damn that Windows 10 upgrade! 

Hey Code Smasha, how ya doing? No I did not do that but one of the tests that I performed before the computer died was a memory test, which it passed. When I opened up the computer I think that I saw the RAM stick (there is just one) but I can't be sure. I would have to watch a YouTube video before I would feel confident doing that.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:09 AM

Just one more note on this problem. When I first saw the stupid computer over my Daughter's house, the screen had so much electrical type interference that I asked my Daughter if she had dropped it. She said she had not dropped it but she does have cats in the house. There is a chance that it has been dropped. So after the screen went completely blank at my house, I hooked up an external monitor with an HDMI cable and I hit fn 4, which I think is the way to toggle between monitors on an HP laptop. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

Try pressing the F4 key without pressing the Fn key to switch between the laptop display and the external monitor.

If you can get to the point that you can see the desktop see if you can set Windows to boot into Safe Mode the next time it's booted.

Open the Search Charm and type in msconfig, when this appears below the search box click/tap on it.

When System Configuration opens click on the Boot tab.

Then click/tap on Safe Boot, the click/tap on Apply, then OK.

Reboot the computer.

If you succeed in doing this, let us know if the screen distortion is still there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:58 AM

I will try that F4 thing to see if I see anything, but at this point I do not think that there is any OS loaded into this computer. Like I said, my Daughter tried to load Windows 10 as an upgrade and I don't think that went well. I think that this laptop is just a blank computer without any OS installed.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

Even if the computer had no OS you should still see the HP logo at boot.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

Is this laptop used for college or university?  If yes, consider removing the hard-drive, placing into an enclosure, using another computer, make a full-image of the hard-drive; or, create on another computer a bootable USB stick with Macrium Reflect, boot the laptop and make a full-image backup.  Not now, not today, sometime when it's convenient.  College or university material should be backed up on a regular basis. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

What happens if you try to boot into the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

What happens if you try to boot into the BIOS?

Absolutely nothing. When I turn on the computer and begin to hit F2 nothing happens. But when I first brought it home, before I killed it, the PC entered into an HP screen, not BIOS but a test screen, when I hit F2 at start up. Now, nothing.

Even if the computer had no OS you should still see the HP logo at boot.

I think that you are right, I should see an HP logo but I see nothing.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,631 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:34 AM

Try powercycling the computer. Remove the battery and power supply. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power supply but not the battery. Press the power button.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

I just plugged the laptop into my big screen that I use for my own computer, I plugged the laptop into the wall and I turned it on. I repeatedly pressed F4 and I saw nothing at all on the screen. There are no beeps at all that come from the laptop but it is not DEAD dead. The fans spins, the LED on the power button turns on and the LED on the caps lock button blinks regularly and the LED on the airplane mode button stays on constantly. This is all that I see. There is nothing at all on the screen. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:40 AM

Try powercycling the computer. Remove the battery and power supply. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power supply but not the battery. Press the power button.

Thank you. I just tried that and nothing happened. The fan fires up right away and those little lights that I described in my previous post come on, but nothing else. Also, I tried this yesterday after I removed the CMOS battery, but I gave it a shot today at your suggestion. Nothing.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:45 AM

Since I don't see an HP logo at all, I think that I messed up the BIOS yesterday when I was performing those tests. I do not know enough about hardware to be know how to get back to where I was yesterday. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,631 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

In your first post you provided a link for flashing the BIOS. Did you actually try flashing and the flash failed. If the flash went bad then there is a good possibility the computer is bricked. Did you try powercycling the computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users