Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Video Card Is My Computer Using?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ndntank

ndntank

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:05 PM

I recently installed an ATI video card uninstalled the driver for the stock card installed the new driver. I did not remove the stock video card, can someone tell me how to tell if the new card is being used? Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:37 PM

goto Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager button>Display adapters. If you expand the tree (click the plus sign) you should see the driver the OS has installed which should also be the active card.

can I ask why you did not remove the stock video card when you installed the ATI card?

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:59 AM

I think ndntank is referring to the onboard video (some users call it a card still!!)

Also you can download Everest Free Edition http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

That will tell you!!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:05 AM

If it is still installed it is better to Disable the OEM card rather than uninstalling the drivers. You may find the drivers trying t reinstall a boot. When Disabled it will still be there, just turned off.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:42 AM

If it is an onboard video card, you can disable it in the BIOS and Windows won't even know that it's there!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ndntank

ndntank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:17 PM

The stock card is integrated and I was afraid to mess with the motherboard. went into control panel and it shows the driver but if it is using the ATI driver it wouldn't try to use the stock video card right? The ATI driver would use the ATI card? Thanks for y'alls help!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:25 AM

You must disable one of the video cards - otherwise the computer won't know which one to use (not to mention the conflicts of 2 cards trying to use the same resources). Removing a driver without disabling the device just forces Windows to use it's own, built in drivers in order to get it running.

Go into the system BIOS and disable the onboard card - this should enable the ATI card to be recognized and will solve your problem
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 ndntank

ndntank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

ok how or where do I find the system BIOS? Thanks again for your time and help!

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:47 PM

When you first turn on your computer you should be prompted to press a key to enter set up. Usually F2 F10 Del or similar. Look for the video adapter listed there. You can also disable it in the Device Manager in Windows.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users