Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba satellite pro l300 laptop won't power up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wend123

wend123

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

Please help! My laptop is refusing to boot up at all. Power light comes on and fan starts up but screen stays black! I've tried pressing power button and then f8 repeatedly - that worked for a couple days but now nothing happens. Please help! Even if just to get all my music photos and data off - got most backed up but not everything. Thanks so much :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:13 PM

When the computer boots up do you see the initial logo of the computer maker? Try powercycling the computer. Remove the battery and power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power adapter but do not replace the battery. See if the computer boots.

If not do you see anything on the screen if you hold a flashlight on the screen in a dark room?

#3 wend123

wend123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:30 AM

Nothing at all on screen and already tried taking adapter and battery out etc - still nothing! Could it be motherboard problem and if so would that be expensive to repair? Thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:35 AM

Yes, that would be an expensive repair if you had it done by a repair shop and it was the motherboard. It could be something else also. Sometimes a laptop will not boot if the CMOS battery is bad. They are inexpensive and depending on the laptop, easy to replace. On this laptop, unfortunately, it is on the back of the motherboard which requires disassembly.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/290476-toshiba-laptop-l300d-cmos-battery/

l300 service manual

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 October 2015 - 09:35 AM.

#5 wend123

wend123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:12 AM

Thanks for your help on this. I'll probably just get my data taken off the hard drive and be done with it. Is this hard to do? I understand you can remove hard drive,put it in an external hard drive enclosure and then use it like an external hard drive but I wouldn't know how to do that - I'm not very dextrous with my fingers :-/

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

Yes, you can remove the drive and attach it to another computer, either internally to a desktop with the available space and port or by using an enclosure. you can also use USB adapters. If you are not dextrous then you may want to use a "Toaster" type of USB adapter where you insert it into a slot. You would probably be better off getting an enclosure as you would be then be able to use it for external storage even thought the Toaster can do the same thing. A good repair shop should be able to remove the drive and put it in an enclosure. I you purchase the enclosure from them then you should ask them if they would transfer the drive free of charge. If you know somebody that is comfortable doing it then do that. 

If you remove the drive yourself, make sure the battery is out and any power cord too. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds then open the hard drive panel. Touch some bare metal on the case before removing the drive and after the drive is removed avoid touching the circuit board of the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users