Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PIN Changed in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gyrlander

Gyrlander

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:20 PM

So, to log into your computer you have now to enter a PIN instead of a password, right? Well, that PIN is changed (or something similar) because I can't log in with the normal one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

According to the forum rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat ... security measures.

And a PIN would be considered a security measure.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:06 PM

Click on the Sign-in Options you can sign in with your MSFT account password instead of the PIN. Once logged into the pc you can change the PIN. I think you can change the PIN online too.

Are you stuck in a Safe Mode loop?

Edited by technonymous, 29 October 2015 - 11:11 PM.

#4 Gyrlander

Gyrlander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:43 AM

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat ... security measures.

I'm pretty sure that my purpose creating this thread wasn't to defeat security measures.

Click on the Sign-in Options you can sign in with your MSFT account password instead of the PIN. Once logged into the pc you can change the PIN. I think you can change the PIN online too.

But do you mean when I'm going to sign in my computer, or I have to change it like in Settings or something? It's just that I'm trying to make so that it doesn't request a PIN but I only see how to change it. And no, I'm not stuck in a Safe Mode loop (thanks God) I'm just worried about not being able to use Safe Mode when I need it.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:02 AM

It's been a few weeks now since I did my last upgrade to Win10 but I seem to recall them using the term PIN in a way that was interchangeable with password.  If this account is a Microsoft account, rather than a local account, try entering your password and see if that works.

There have been a couple of other entities that have used PIN/password interchangeably and I absolutely despise that practice.  A personal identification number (PIN) is not the same as a password!!

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:30 PM

don't know if it will help but have a look at netplwiz, (winkey+r) type netplwiz, gives you some options on changes to pin or password. Again don't know if it will help you.

#7 Gyrlander

Gyrlander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:01 PM

Sadly, I think this is a local account and not a Microsoft one.

don't know if it will help but have a look at netplwiz, (winkey+r) type netplwiz, gives you some options on changes to pin or password. Again don't know if it will help you.

So I looked at it but didn't found anything that could really help me. Anyway, I found something that sounds strange to me. It's located in the credential manager and It's called virtualapp/didlogical. Does anyone know if this is from Microsoft or something? Searched in the internet and only found a post that didn't really say what it was.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

I'm pretty sure that my purpose creating this thread wasn't to defeat security measures.

But do you mean when I'm going to sign in my computer, or I have to change it like in Settings or something? It's just that I'm trying to make so that it doesn't request a PIN but I only see how to change it. And no, I'm not stuck in a Safe Mode loop (thanks God) I'm just worried about not being able to use Safe Mode when I need it.

Yes, when you sign into computer there should be login-options below where you type in the password. Clicking on login-options you have a choice to use PIN or MSFT account password. The icon with dots/dashes is the PIN, the icon with the key is MSFT password. You can change both online even from another computer...https://login.live.com

One time I typed msconfig while logged into Windows and putting a check in the safe boot box and restarted the system. The PIN or MSFT password wouldn't work. I am speculating that the admin account profile had different network settings or something. Restarting the computer would only take me back to safeboot again. None of the recovery tools in safeboot would work without the PIN/Password thanks to MSFT. The only option at that point was to boot from a cd and access the recovery tools from it. Once done open cmd prompt and from there use command: bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot After that it would boot normally again and the PIN was working fine! So obviously there is a serious flaw somewhere in this PIN/Password MSFT account nonsense. I guess having two passwords makes things better? Pssh! :hysterical:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users