Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"your computer was unable to start" (after power failure)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

The power went out this weekend for 28 hours and when it came on, I always get a message on my Windows 7 desktop: "your computer was unable to start" and it asks me if I want to launch startup repair but every time I say yes, it will be stuck on "attempting repairs" and it will say that for hours on end and will never complete. if I click, "cancel" it always says that the repairs cannot be canceled. all I can do is pull the plug. but it does the same "your computer was unable to start" when I turn on the computer again. it was working fine before the power failure. it has been doing these same things all day every day since Sunday when power was restored. What can I do to remedy this? there was nothing wrong with the computer before the outage.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:08 PM

Is this a laptop or desktop? Model number and serial number? Have you tried resetting the bios? A a surge or ligting strike can damage electronics. Was the pc plugged into a surge protector during this outage? It has to say surge protection on it and not just some powerstrip. A surge protector is supposed to be the sacrificial lamb protecting your electronics.

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:20 PM

I always get a message on my Windows 7 desktop: "

I mentioned it was a desktop. and yes it was in a surge protector. There was no lightning, A tree fell on power lines that fell into the river down the road, They couldn't work on it at night because the wire was in the river and they had to send a boat down the river to fix it.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:49 PM

Try unplugging the power press the power switch then plug it back in and boot it. Have you tried resetting the bios?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users