Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

short circuit CPU

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heseth

Heseth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

So how often can a motherboard or any other piece(ex CPU,video card etc ),from a computer can die if you accidentally short circuit one of them?One of my friends bought a second hand CPU(i3 4570) and he looked at it to see if there's a any residue or other stuff underneath it(Golden area),he told me that while he was holding it he felt a strange tingling on his fingers while holding it.So he is not sure if he actually damaged it or not.From what i know you usually get instantly zapped by a component as soon as you touch it.So i have no clue if he did damage-it or not.(and he can't check yo see if the cpu is goor or not cause his motherboard that he ordered comes on fryday)

Edited by Heseth, 28 October 2015 - 01:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

I am sure you felt shock before touching things. That Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) can kill electronics. I haven't killed anyhting from all these years of handling stuff. I do touch metal before I do though. Something like a fridge, sink, cold side hotwater heater, metal on car. Typically you don't want to handle the cpu and touching it's gold pins. Not sure of the strange tingles could be static ESD related who knows. I always get shocked walking around a long time in a shopping center and then touch the lockers for MILk prodcuts and WHAM! A human body can store 32,000 volts.

#3 Heseth

Heseth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:04 PM

I am sure you felt shock before touching things. That Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) can kill electronics. I haven't killed anyhting from all these years of handling stuff. I do touch metal before I do though. Something like a fridge, sink, cold side hotwater heater, metal on car. Typically you don't want to handle the cpu and touching it's gold pins. Not sure of the strange tingles could be static ESD related who knows. I always get shocked walking around a long time in a shopping center and then touch the lockers for MILk prodcuts and WHAM! A human body can store 32,000 volts.

Ok i know how static works,but isn't normal to fell the ESD discharge immediately after you touched it ? the guy hold it for like a minute looking at the bottom of the cpu.Than he told me if felt some weird tingling in his fingers.He has no idea if that was ESD or not,it may have been just his fingers acting weird or something else.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

I don't know either I never heard of such a thing. They always say use a ESD strap and I agree if you handle a bunch of stuff all at once and move around alot. I been touching electroinics for 25 years never had a issue from ESD. I gotta run though I got business to attend to. I'll be back later.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:25 PM

The bottom side of most circuit boards is festooned with sharp little points.  I would be possible to get a finger or two across points to allow the ESD build up to slowly discharge (the tingle).  This will indeed do damage.  Too many think of the snap when grounding a built up charge is all, but smaller charges that go unfelt and unheard can do just as much damage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users