Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to change User account name

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Great Flight 70

Great Flight 70

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:56 PM

I went to the Control Panel/User Accounts.  I created a new user account named CAG, and made  CAG an Administrator.  Then I went to the directory on Drive C and looked in the Users account, instead of finding CAG I found Owner. :bananas:

According to Mr. Microsoft a user account is a collection of information that tells Windows which files and folders you can access, what changes you can make to the computer, and your personal preferences, such as your desktop background or screen saver. User accounts let you share a computer with several people, while having your own files and settings.  I would like users on my LAN to refer to me as CAG not Owner. 

I understand that the Owner account is the default setting,  What do I need to do to get rid of it? :smash:

Does CAG need to become the Owner of the Owner account? Does she need Special Permission to become the Owner?  Is the Owner account radioactive? :radioactive:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

Answering topic title [How to change User account name:

Changing the name of a created user account or of a created admin account will only change the "face" of the account.

The account's infrastructure retains the name it was created with.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 October 2015 - 01:11 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:07 PM

After you created the user account CAG did you actually switch to that account?

If not, it will won't show up in the Users list until AFTER you get the account desktop and files set up.

Click CAG on the welcome screen. Windows will then configure the settings for CAG.

After it is configured it will show in the Users list when logged on with every user account the computer has.

If no one uses the Owner account, it can be safely deleted. I have deleted it many times over the years and had no issues after deletion. If you do use the Owner account, you can either keep it OR copy ALL your personal files and folder and favorites to the CAG account then delete Owner. If deleted, do it from the CAG account. There will also be an option to save Owner folders and files to the CAG desktop. I suggest doing this even if you copy Owner files over to CAG, just in case you later find out you missed something. If you use an email client on Owner, back up your email since it will be lost when you delete the Owner account if mail is set up as POP mail. You may not be able to get it back after setting up the client on the CAG account.

Roland, the issue is that CAG doesn't show up in the Users list. What I suggested will get it to show up there.

Roland is correct that changing the name will only change what you see on the Welcome screen.

For example, I have a user account called Test. I see Test on the welcome screen and in the Users list.

If I change the name from Test to Bojangles the name Bojangles will be the welcome screen name. But in the Users list it will still be seen as Test. Test will also still be in the full path of any of Test's folder and files.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 October 2015 - 01:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users