Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update For Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3095649)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:13 AM

This optional update has been lingering for over 3 days. It's as if MS wants you to download even though it is optional. I clicked on 'more info' and (according to the related explanation) it is not even for Windows 7. See link Below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095649

Wonder what's up with this. Perhaps an honest mistake?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:46 AM

The article page is most likely incorrect. This update is available for download on the Microsoft Download Center for Windows 7 x64.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49453&WT.mc_id=rss_windows_7

I downloaded the update and extracted it, and the file version is indeed for Windows 7, so it can be installed on Windows 7 systems.

QJaOh6Y.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:45 PM

Thanks Aura. Lately, I am hesitant about any updates that do not involve security patches, as I do not want any unauthorized applications running.

With this being optional, why hasn't it 'fallen off' like MSE optional updates, et al ?? I know I can hide this update but have never had to hide optional.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

With this being optional, why hasn't it 'fallen off' like MSE optional updates, et al ??

What do you mean by that?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:53 PM

My update settings are 'check for updates but let me decide whether to install'. Consequently, I check updates daily. Every day there is a Microsoft Security Essentials definition update that is optional. I do not download. Later that day towards evening I check for updates and MSE is no longer there.

That is to which I was referring.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:01 PM

Most likely because Microsoft Security Essentials updated itself and not by using Windows Update.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users