Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64 bit, a pain

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 boilermaker27

boilermaker27

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:27 AM

I have the 64 bit Windows 7 and I do not like it.  Problem is that many of my software will not run with a 64 bit computer, and, some of the software cannot be replaced.  I was recently at one of the Micro Center stores and one of the sales persons told me that I could install a 32 bit version of Windows 7 on my computer and then these programs would work.  My question of course is, is this possible?  If I can do so how do I toggle between each version?  Seems a bit weird to me.  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

To give you a valid answer...we would like to know just what your system specs are.  But...we can work around that.

Go to Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor .  Download and run.  It will tell you if your system can  run any version of Windows 7.

The key word is "any".  Same as "all"...if the system is capable of running 1 version, it's capable of running each Windows 7 version, whether 32-bit or 64-bit version.

Louis

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

Windows 64-bit allows you to run 32-bit programs (the OS is also made based on that, hence the concept of System32, SysWOW64, Sysnative, Wow6432Node, etc.) so there should be no problems running 32-bit programs on a 64-bit version of Windows.

On top of the information Louis asked above, can you list us some of the programs you want to install but can't because your Windows is 64-bit?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

I downloaded and ran the program and here are the results.  "you can upgrade to 64 bit Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate with Windows Anytime Upgrade"

4 system requirements passed:  Windows Aero Support; CPU speed 3.1GHz; 4.0 RAM; 784 GB free.

Some of the programs that will not run are as follows: Audio Cleaning Lab 3.0; Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 and Premiere Elements 3.0; Civil War CD Rom by Guild Press of Indiana (my main problem as the newer version is awful compared to this version); there are also other programs that don't run.

When I try and run or load these versions my CD Rom makes clicking noises but will not load the programs and if they do load they don't run.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:01 AM

Let's try something. For Audio Cleaning Lab 3.0, right-click on the executable and select Properties, then go to the Compatibility tab. Once done, check the Execute that program in compatibility mode, and select Windows XP (Service Pack 3) in the drop down list, then click on the Apply button. Once done, try to launch the installer.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

I have the program in the disc drive now but all it is doing is spinning the drive and lot's of clicking.  When I went to my computer I see it listed as being in the drive and I right clicked there but all I got was the properties for the drive.    This is what happens with most of the 32 bit programs.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:37 AM

When you right-click on the CD in "My Computer", what options do you have? Do you have an "Explore" or "Open" option?

unite_blue.png

#8 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:19 PM

It finally loaded but after much spinning and clicking of my drive.  I was able to get the program up and running and it seems to be working fine.  I will try to do the same with my Adobe Photoshop Elements and see if that too will load?

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

Yes. Maybe it just took time for your CD/DVD-ROM to read the CDs. Let me know how it goes!

unite_blue.png

#10 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

I got Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 installed but when I tried to go into my photographs and import a photograph to see if it worked correctly the program crashed.  I went online and found that in some instances downloading the 5.2 update helped and did download and install the update but no help.  Now the program won't even open.  I have tried it in various compatibility modes includine XP sp 2 & 3 but nothing.  I did get a message in one instance saying the program was not compatible.  No matter what I do the program now fails to open.  I did use the compatibility troubleshooter and in the end it came back with "incompatible application"

#11 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

I might add that going online I found numerous posting from other people having issues with this program and 64 bit Windows 7

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:40 PM

Sadly even if you downgrade to Windows 7 32-bit, I'm sure you'll have the same issue.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/635275

Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 isn't Windows 7 certified, which means that compatibility isn't guaranteed (it is starting at 8.0). So it might work for some users, and might not for others. Some can find working workarounds, some won't. For me, since this product isn't officially ready for Windows 7, I cannot do anything about it.

unite_blue.png

#13 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

thanks for the help. 

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

No problem. You can check your other programs as well. Like I said, the issue here isn't 32 or 64-bit, but actual Windows support for the program you are using. You are using really old version of complex programs that were built for older Windows architecture, and since there's a big gap between Windows XP and Vista, Vista and 7 and XP and 7, it's normal for some of them to not work anymore on more recent versions of Windows.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users