Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer duplicates

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:33 PM

Hmmm. I have been looking for more solutions OP, but I can not find them. Not any easy ones anyway. This problem seems to affect older printers, not very old mind you.

One solution is to attach the printer to the Network Print Server. That way everybody who connects to the printer, such as the laptop, connects to it through the network. Therefore it can not create a duplicate object. This solution fixes the symptom, but not the disease, so it is not the best solution. It will eliminate duplicate USB printer objects showing up though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:02 AM

One of my questions is still why would my older printer suddenly be affected when for years, it was not?  Something must have changed, but I don't know what.

#18 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:59 AM

One of my questions is still why would my older printer suddenly be affected when for years, it was not?  Something must have changed, but I don't know what.

Has the Windows OS changed in this computer?  Or, has there been changes in operations [such as security and/or monitoring] within Windows?  Any number of seemingly unrelated thingies can cause hiccups or problems with printers and printing.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#19 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

It has always been Windows Vista.  I have had the same anti-virus for a long time.

#20 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:39 PM

Well, unless there is something else to investigate, it looks like I will have to remember to always use the same USB port.  I never had to do that before (?).

#21 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:47 AM

Okay, today when I plugged in printer, into the same port I have been using, it reinstalled again.  Since it is now known it is not a matter of a different port, I don't know what is causing this to happen.  It sure is irritating.

#22 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:28 PM

Did you mention the exact model name of your Lexmark? I could not find it in this thread. Tell it to me again, anyway.

#23 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:31 AM

Z25 

Thanks.

#24 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

I have looked all over the webwebs regarding your problem ray5450. Sadly, I have found no solutions, and not many answers. You can try and open a ticket with Lexmark support, but they may not be much help if your printer is out of warranty.

#25 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:22 AM

I seem to remember this same thing happened to another printer I had long ago.  Somehow it stopped doing that, but I don't remember much else.  Maybe it was a Windows reinstall....and, as I said previously, it worked just fine for years on the same system it recently had a problem with.

I am currently using a different machine (Windows 7/64), so I can only use this printer through virtual XP.  It does not have that problem in XP, anyway.

Yes, printer is years out of warranty, but I think it is a Windows problem and not the printer.

#26 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

Since my last post, the Windows 7 machine developed a bad cord and a bad fan, so I have switched back to this Vista machine.  However, I reinstalled Windows to fix this issue.  It did not fix this issue.  Now, not only does it create a duplicate in each port, but now the driver will not install.  It says:

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.  There is no driver selected for the device information set or element." 

This is the same Vista driver that I have always used. 

Is there a solution?  Thank-you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users