Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer duplicates

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:20 AM

About every week or 2, when I plug in my USB printer, Windows reinstalls it, even though it is already installed, then there are 2 printers of the same.  If I pick the wrong one, or if it is set to the wrong default, it irritatingly will not print until I select the other one.  To fix it, I have to unplug it, delete both, reconnect it, and let it install again.  I remember having this same issue with a different printer in Windows 98.  This behavior, now with Vista, started recently.  Is there something I can do to prevent this?

(The time in between this week or 2, it behaves normally and does not reinstall when I connect it.)

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

What printer is it? That behavior is somewhat typical of Windows using its default drivers for printers. The drivers you get from the manufacturer tend to be less buggy. 

#3 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:41 PM

The drivers are from the manufacturer.  When I first used this printer, Windows did not have the drivers and prompted me for them.  I also should note, this printer has worked for years with Vista.  This issue has just started in the last couple months, somehow.  (?)

Edited by ray5450, 28 October 2015 - 10:42 PM.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

What model of printer is it? What version of Windows are you using? Check and see if there is an update for the drivers from the manufacturer. When you are on their website, also see if there is a firmware update for the printer.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,511 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:13 AM

Believe it or not, two other things can affect printing and printer operations:  malware and security set a little too assertively.  Is the "look and feel" and the overall operations almost exactly the same as it has been for the last few years?  Reason for asking:  after my printings OPs became dorked, I had to do an OS restore to rid whatever the cause[s] dorked printing.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:58 PM

Thank-you, for your responses.

The printer is Lexmark.    There are no newer drivers on the website.  Both my above posts indicate Vista.  Printer operates exactly the same as always, except for what I described.  I check regularly for malware and viruses.  I also tried deleting the driver and reinstalling anew.   I did just notice something.  My machine has 3 USB ports.  If I plug the printer into a different one than the one when the drivers were installed, that is when it reinstalls itself.  It never did this before recently.  I could use any of the 3 and it did not reinstall itself.   I have a USB scanner and I can use any one of the 3  and it does not reinstall itself.  Does this information help?

Edited by ray5450, 31 October 2015 - 11:12 PM.

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:37 AM

Are they USB 3.0 or 2.0 ports? Some USB 2 devices have a hard time when plugged into a 3.0 port.

#8 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

All 3 are USB-2.

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:47 AM

Thank-you, for your responses.

The printer is Lexmark.    There are no newer drivers on the website.  Both my above posts indicate Vista.  Printer operates exactly the same as always, except for what I described.  I check regularly for malware and viruses.  I also tried deleting the driver and reinstalling anew.   I did just notice something.  My machine has 3 USB ports.  If I plug the printer into a different one than the one when the drivers were installed, that is when it reinstalls itself.  It never did this before recently.  I could use any of the 3 and it did not reinstall itself.   I have a USB scanner and I can use any one of the 3  and it does not reinstall itself.  Does this information help?

That is very helpful!

This can often be caused by the fact the printer does not have a serial number in its ROM. The computer can't determine if it is the same printer, so Windows thinks it is new hardware when it is connected to a new USB port. Firmware update can fix the issue, see if Lexmark has a firmware update for your printer.

Most users affected by this bug are Vista users, upgrading to Windows 7 may alleviate the issue. If you can't upgrade to Windows 7 or upgrading does not fix the issue, there are other ways you can try and fix it. Those methods requiring some registry modification, so it can be dangerous.

See if there is a firmware update first.

#10 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

As I said, Lexmark has no updates for this printer.  I also just did an extensive internet search and found none.

Before this recently started, this printer worked a long time with VIsta in any of the ports.  It must have been able to determine that it is the same printer, but now suddenly, it does not.  Why would that be?

Otherwise, I am familiar with working with registry.  Go ahead.

Thanks.

#11 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

No, not driver updates. Firmware updates. You said they have no driver updates. Do they have any firmware updates?

#12 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:01 AM

I meant any updates at all.  There are none.

#13 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

Try removing the printer manually with this link here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/how-to-uninstall-printer-when-i-dont-have-it/e796c318-86fe-4a3e-8fff-a736334166b5

WARNING: This method involves modifications to the registry. Backing up your registry before proceeding is highly recommended. One mistake could cripple your system.

Note: It might be a good idea to disable security software like anti-virus/anti-malware protection while you perform this procedure.

Once you have successfully removed the printer driver, reinstall it with an Administrator account that has UAC turned OFF. Once the reinstall is complete, restart the computer. Login with an Administrator account and do a test print. Once it finishes printing, unplug the printer and plug it in again to test. If it works fine, restart into your regular account (if you don't normally use a Admin account.) and test it again. Re-enable your security software. Restart. Test the printer again by printing and unplugging/plugging the USB cable back in. Then do a test print just in case, you can print a blank page if you don't want to waste ink.

Edited by Gorbulan, 04 November 2015 - 11:50 AM.

#14 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:01 AM

I did not have any problem with the procedure.  However, it did not make a difference.  After the driver installed, I connected it to another port and it reinstalled again.  I know it is not a generic driver being installed because it opens a dialogue for me to agree with the driver software terms.  Over the years, I have had to reinstall Vista several times, mostly because of hard drives going bad, and therefore, I have installed this same printer and its driver several times and it has never done this before.

#15 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

Is there anything else to try?  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users