Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software to batch recompress zip archives?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krs000a

krs000a

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:32 AM

I am looking for a software that can batch recompress alot of zip archives. Just to clarify what I mean with this:
I have alot (30.000+) smaller zip archives. Many of them are zipped with different programs, using different parameters, compression levels, etc. I want the software to UNZIP all of them, and REZIP them all to new, fresh archives, so that they all become identically zipped, use the same type of compression etc.
OR, alternatively, I suppose I could have a program that batch unzip each archive to individual folders (this can easily be done), but then I would need a program that can batch-zip each folder's CONTENT (only the FILES inside the folder, without include the parent folder that the files are in) into a new zip file, named according to the name of folder that the files are in. Sorry if this sounds confusing. I hope someone will understand what I want to accomplish.
Any suggestions welcomed!

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2015 - 07:20 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:52 AM

Did you password some or many of those zipped-files?  If so, you're going to have supply the password that many times regardless of what automated program you might run across and decide to use.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 October 2015 - 10:33 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:08 AM

Hi,

WINRAR can do it, batch compressing to RAR, ZIP or other supported format. It's not free the trial will work just fine but will start nagging you after 40 days.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:25 AM

I didn't password any of them.

I have the registered version of WinRAR. Tell me step by step how I make WinRAR batch zip all my folders without including the parent folder? When I try it includes the folder that the files are in.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

Hi,

If you have several zip files inside folders and sub folders then you need to run Winrar from the command prompt.

Open the root folder containing the folders/files to process, hold the Shift key and right click on a empty space of the window to access the context menu then click Open command window here (Tutorial)

Inside the command line type:

"c:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe" cv -r *.zip

Winrar will open the Convert Archive window where you can choose the compression options you want to use by pressing the Compression button, make sure you check the box Delete original archives on the first screen to remove the converted archives.

Edit: The command prompt will open located on the root folder ready to run winrar from there.

Edited by SleepyDude, 28 October 2015 - 05:08 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users