Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant see whats using my disc space

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Headhurts

Headhurts

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:21 AM

Hi there,

running windows 7

I have a  1TB Western Digital WDC WD10 EZRX-00L4HB0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)  and my computer is showing  main drive c: 64.5gb of 596gb free   &    e drive :  232gb of 335gb free   but I cant see where all the c drive space has gone!   Can anybody help me please?

many thanks for your time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

Suggest: go to "Folder Options" in the Control Panel, "View", Check "Show hidden files, folders, or drives", unless you have already done so. The check the Temp folders, particularly the one the user profile, under: \AppData\Local. Also, go to Start - Search, type "Disk Cleanup". Suggest that you run it, again unless you have already done so. I find it helpful to install CCleaner from Piriform.

#3 Headhurts

Headhurts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

Thank you, have tried various clean up and antivirus program and nothing much comes up. It maybe the way it been set up. I can see users that Public is visible and high gb.  Is there a good/safe program that I can run to see whats using what?

many thanks

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

For the program side, Minitoolbox and Speccy will return lots of information regarding what is residing on the hard-drive.

For the data side -- that depends upon how you set up your data folders.  Are you using Libraries/My Documents, or, are you using your own folder infrastructure?  There are several freebie utilities that will give you pie-graphs, bar-graphs, line-item counts of the data on your hard-drives.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 October 2015 - 01:14 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

Download Treesize to see what files there are and what their size is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Headhurts

Headhurts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

tracked the issue down :bananas:  It turns out that the disk space used for system restore was up to 50% - too high and as soon as i lowered it down the space came flooding back.

Thank you all for your time.                          (control panel, system,advanced system settings, system protection, configue and then used the slide)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users