Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HEEEELP!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:56 AM

Hi gang..

(I have to mention that I was bussy transfering files from different externals to a new disk so I had them all hooked up.)

Well, yesterday I bought a new HD and after formating, I transfered files from old external disk and everything was normal.

Then I wanted to check  condition of old hard disc with HDDScan-3.3. Program saw the drive but couldn't run SMART test.

Ok I thought, I'll give it another quick format and see if I could run test again.

I went to disk management and got a message that I had to initialize a disk before Logical Disk Management can access the disk.

I had the choice between MBR and GPT partition. Still thinking that message was about that old disk, and I wasn't sure what GPT partition was, I selected MBR and hit Ok.

That's when crap happened. In Disk Management I saw all of the sudden two (?) unallocated partitions that turned out to be my new 4 TB Seagte Expansion disk where I had about 2TB of precious data on.

My question is, can I get my external back to life without losing data on it? I'm running 64Bit Win. 10 Pro, my computer is clean. No virus or any other malware. I'm 100% sure.

Oh and, now I know what GPT partition is but I'm not sure why computer asked to convert partition style

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Edited by Notorious, 28 October 2015 - 08:21 AM.

Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:40 PM

Ouch !

Creating new partitions has probably wiped your data beyond recovery, but it is always worth trying. I have used 'Recuva' in the past with some success. Recuva is a free download which you can get from BC -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/recuva/

Download and install it and run it. It is by far better to try and save any recovered files to a different drive rather than the one they may be on and if one attempt fails to produce usable results then stop and try a different software. Google for 'file recovery software', there are a number of similar programs but I have only used Recuva so I can't speak for them. And don't use this drive for anything at all until you have tried recovery software. The more you read/write to it the more chance there is of overwriting recoverable data.

For the future, I have never used 'Logical Disc Management' but I have seen elsewhere on these forums that it is very powerful software and that you need to be careful with it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:23 AM

Thanks Chris.. :)
Well, I'm trying to save what I can so I downloaded Seagate recovery software. I've been running it for 11 hours and I see all folders I lost.
Now I see if I want to get it back, I have to pay 90 $ for it. Ridiculous I spent 150€ for the drive in August this year.
I 'll try to contact Seagate and see what they have to say about this crap.
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#4 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:40 AM

It's getting better and better with Seagate!

Considering a few months old drive, I was expecting at least some kind of assistance but I see that money is they care about.

Shop I bought the drive says that I can let them recover data for 90 euro and get a new drive because it's a guarantee and I don't trust this one anymore or

I can get my data back from Seagate NL but I would have to pay 900 euro for it.

The punch right under the belt was remark that I am responsible for backing up my stuff. What a hell they think I did buying their product for in first place?

Edited by Notorious, 29 October 2015 - 09:42 AM.

Posted Image

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

USB portable version of MiniTool Power Data Recovery [free version will recover up to 1GB of data] is a 2nd option to try.

ChrisC, I'm not sure exactly what happened, is it possible to "put things back the way things were originally" -- after data recovery programs have been run?  I think I saw: from GPT to MBR, can OP go back to MBR later?  Bring back the original partitions?  Will those "put-backs" help in a second, more successful, wave of data recovery attempts?

Edited by RolandJS, 29 October 2015 - 10:17 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:37 AM

Ouch !

For the future, I have never used 'Logical Disc Management' but I have seen elsewhere on these forums that it is very powerful software and that you need to be careful with it.

Chris Cosgrove

I did nothing! I got Logical Disk Management popup with GPT and MBR options. Thinking about it now, I wonder if I just clicked LDM popup away would my disk still render unpartitioned.
Posted Image

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:14 PM

"I did nothing !"  That's what an elderly acquaintance of mine said when I found the perfectly nice system I had last seen running 8.1 had metamorphosed into one running Win 10 all by itself !  Sorry, I am not having a pop at you.

An entirely alternative approach would be to try Puppy Linux, which has no effect on any hard drive because it is a self-booting CD and runs entirely in RAM. It is also free !  However you are putting yourself in the hands of the Scots as this guide was written by my fellow Scot AI1000. See this link -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561869/how-to-create-a-secure-multi-session-puppy-cd-with-updatable-firefox-browser/

Essentially, Puppy runs in RAM and allows you to see the contents of any drive connected to your system and move the contents - if they still exist - to a place of safety. This sounds exactly like what you are looking for. AI1000 gives full instructions on how to make and use this disc.

Initially all this disc will do, using its file manager, is look at the contents of a drive. If you then see data that can be recovered then you can move it to where you wish. The sign that you can see folders is encouraging, so using a non-destructive method like Puppy may very well work for you. If it is any recommendation I keep a copy on my desk as a recovery tool.

Try it and let us know how you get on.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:56 AM

Thanks Chris.
Yesterday I borrowed copy of Data Rescue PC3 from friend of mine. Program is still bussy collecting data.
If that won't work I'll try link you provided. :)
Posted Image

#9 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:05 AM

That happened to me once and I got bitten on the bum by it. All the files were lost forever so I used Recuva, but it partially recovered my files. I have a new drive now 1TB. It seems Samsung is the best yet far brand so far along with WD.

Edited by CodeSmasha, 30 October 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#10 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:39 AM

It seems Samsung is the best yet far brand so far along with WD.

Guys at the shop told me that crap happens with all HD brands but I think you are right. Maxtor and Seagate had lot of BSY and LBA problems in the past as well. I'll never buy anything from Seagate again that's for sure!
Posted Image

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

That happened to me once and I got bitten on the bum by it. All the files were lost forever so I used Recuva, but it partially recovered my files. I have a new drive now 1TB. It seems Samsung is the best yet far brand so far along with WD.

Samsung was purchased by Seagate.

800px-Diagram_of_Hard_Disk_Drive_Manufac

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,209 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 02:31 PM

@Notorious, if you still have the hard drive available then download Minitools Data Recovery and let is scan the drive for lost or deleted partitions. If it finds the lost partition then double click it to see if it shows the files in the partition. If it does check that one partition if that is all you need and select finish to write a new partition table. You may need to do a full scan if the quick scan finds nothing. On a 4TB drive this will take a long time.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitool-partition-wizard-free/

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/partition-recovery.html

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:30 PM

@Notorious, #10

While we all feel for your pain, and we are all trying to help you recover your data, you are not being entirely fair to Seagate. At the end of the day it was user error that messed up that drive. As far as you have told us the drive is still performing to Seagate's specifications.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:28 PM

4TB drive this will take a long time.

Thanks John, Data Rescue PC3 is still bussy recovering files and I think it's gonna take a long time to get them all back. ( at least 80 hours ) But I'll check out links you posted.

@Chris, yes it's my fault for not knowing about GPT partition. But you know what I find real weird?  Why didn't I get any LDM warnings first time I formated disk? 

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2015 - 02:28 PM.

Posted Image

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,209 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

Recovering your data is top priority. Thanks for mentioning Data Rescue PC3. I was not aware of that program. I will have to check it out. Does the free version allow unlimited recovery?  

Edit: I found that it is a free demo that does not allow recovery but does let you see what can be recovered.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 October 2015 - 08:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users