Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 starts to boot up to logo, then reboots? No Virus found.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AsgardBS

AsgardBS

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:54 AM

My windows 7 pro computer was working perfectly. I created recent restore points. After adding a second hard drive for storage. I realized it had an older W7 OS on it.  From within my current OS I formatted the storage drive and it went through fine. All was working well until I rebooted.

The OS would only go so far to the Windows flying logo and then reboot.  All safe modes did the same thing. Windows repair kept saying it could not be repaired automatically even with the disk. Ran Chkdsk and scanned for virus - no problems found.

When I looked at restore points I did see the most recent one (same day) was for a critical windows update. I tried running several restore points (which went through successfully) but windows would do the same thing.  

One thing that baffled me was after running successful restore points, when I went back into system restore it showed all the restore points again even the most recent ones, as if I had never run any at all?

This system would take me days to rebuild. If anyone can help it would be very appreciated! :bounce: And I would sing your praises! :guitar:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

Remove the second hard drive that you just put in and see if that helps.

If not, then run Startup Repair without the 2nd hard drive installed.

What I suspect happened is that the system booted off the boot code on the 2nd hard drive, then transferred control to the 1st hard drive with Windows on it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 AsgardBS

AsgardBS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:39 AM

I was suspecting the very same thing, but don't know how to fix it.  I removed the second drive and tried all the same repair features including bootrec but nothing has helped or changed!

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:40 PM

An old trick for W7 (and Vista) was to run Startup Repair (and maybe the bootrec commands) from the installation DVD.

And then it was also suggested to run it 3 times - with reboots in-between.

If that doesn't work, then try a repair of W7:  https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-7.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 AsgardBS

AsgardBS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

This on has me baffled.  I tried all those tricks, but get the same response. Very strange especially since there are no virus! Why doesn't restore points work? They say they worked but after a REBOOT I get the same results and the same choices in restore points , as if nothing happened?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:30 AM

I'm at a loss as to what to do next - I'd suggest posting over in the W7 forums.

Otherwise the only suggestion that I have is to wipe your hard drive and reinstall Windows "clean".

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users