Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is there a red Recovery line

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:36 PM

Greetings;  Re: Vista O/S.  Why is the Recovery line bar in red showing almost all the space being used up when I reinstalled the O/S which is supposed to bring the computer back to factory conditions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

Hi Robert :)

Can you give us a screenshot of what you're talking about?

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

Same name as me :)

#4 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:00 PM

Unfortunately, no. It is on a computer that we cannot get on line,. I'll explain: This happened on my sister-in-law's computer About a week ago, she went to a new ISP. The new ISP  is cable and they installed one of those Modem/Routers and her computer is wired with an ethernet cable from the Modem/Router to the computer. Problems developed where it took forever to get on line and when she clicked on to something the circle just kept rotating on and on. Finally, it got so erratic that she just gave up on the computer and decided to install a unit that never was used on line and basically, her husband used it just to play games. She asked me to hook it up. First thing I did was to connect to the Moden/Router and then did a re-installation of Vista to present a clean unit. After I installed Vista, I installed the drivers and in both cases, I used the discs that cam with the unit. The result is that she still cannot get on line. One of the things I did notice was that when I click in to "Computer",  The Recovery line, rather than being in blue is in red and almost extends the full length of the bar. I found this unusual since I just did a re-install of the O/S. 

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,483 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:03 PM

Is this what you are referring to when you mention "Red Recovery Line"?
VmHXWb1.png
Like, it's red and almost filled instead of being blue? The interface might look different since I took this screenshot on my Windows 10.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:03 PM

CodeSmasha.   Expound

#7 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:13 PM

It's okay I mean the same first name "Robert" which is my first name too.

Anyway... I'm busy trying to bash Cryptowall 3.0 with my bare hands so i'll leave you to it.

#8 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:14 PM

Aura. Instead of saying Local DisK © and the outtide line of the rectangular box being red as you have it, it says Recovery (D) and there is no rectangular box but only a bar line, in red rather than blue. 

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,483 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:16 PM

This is the Recovery partition. It's normal for it to be almost filled since it contains your manufacturer's Windows image on it. There's nothing wrong with that.

unite_blue.png

#10 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:20 PM

OK, thank you. Just wanted to eliminate it as a problem or not.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,483 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:21 PM

It's not, don't worry :)

No problem!

unite_blue.png

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:18 AM

Have you installed anything else on D.  You say you reinstalled Vista, was it a reinstall with the factory disks or did you do a restore from that partition?

Mine the restore partition was used up and my cdrom was moved up to D and I can not figure out how to move it back.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,483 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

It's not possible to install Windows Vista (or any other Windows for that matters) on the Recovery partition because they are too small so they wouldn't be able to contain both the Factory Image, and the Windows installation.

unite_blue.png

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

...my cdrom was moved up to D...

Windows Disk Management should be able to assign cd-dvd drive the letter you're used to having.  Because numerous installs "remember" the cd-dvd drive letter, I set all of my internal cd-dvd devices to letter I.  Was yours either E or F?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:53 PM

Mine was at F origionally. and when D got used up by doing a system restore windows moved it to D. I agree I Should be able to move it myself but it will not let me. Renameing it back to F or some other letter does no good.

Aura I am not saying that 2 complete os's may have been put on that dive. I accidently added some more stuff to my D drive/partition once and almpst used it's remaining free space up. Meant to save to C and fumble fingered to D.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users