Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus X205T With 8.1 Bing--I Cannot Turn Off Bitlocker

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 larrytxeast

larrytxeast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

I have recently acquired an ultra-portable Asus X205T with Windows 8.1 Bing (32 bit) on an eMMC. I am just now learning about something called "BitLocker," and it's apparently engaged on my machine. I never asked for this and have no "passwords" for such I'm aware of.

I have tried everything I've seen in the searches I've done, with respect to the directions, but I absolutely CANNOT turn off BitLocker. This is especially a problem because I can't create a system image backup of it, and this includes Office 2007 which I've activated. I'm guessing if I wipe the computer and reinstall 8.1 from the partition, I'm GUESSING there's a setting there I could change and it wouldn't install with Bitlocker, but then I'm having to reactivate Office 2007 and that may not "take" (I have no experience with that sort of thing).

Is wiping the computer and changing a setting at setup the only way to fix this?

Edited by larrytxeast, 27 October 2015 - 06:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

You can disable BitLocker with command in the Elevated Command Prompt.  But you will need to know what drive letter is assigned to the partition which the Windows operating system is installed on.  To determine this please do the following.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the command prompt is opened copy and then paste the two commands one at a time in the command prompt followed by pressing Enter after each command.

diskpart

list volume

You should see an image similar to the one below.

diskpart_zpsjlgls9p9.png

Notice that Volume 1 drive letter is C and is listed as Boot.  This is the drive letter for the partition which the Windows operating system is installed on.

To disable BitLocker copy and paste the command below in the command prompt, then press Enter.  If your drive letter isn't C enter the letter which is listed as Boot.

PS C:\> Disable-BitLocker -MountPoint "C:" 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 larrytxeast

larrytxeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. In the meantime, I did a Windows reset, figuring maybe in the "express settings" during setup there was an option for overriding this. There wasn't.

However, at the "Metro" screen (I hadn't yet installed Classic Shell), I did a search for Bitlocker and it brought up "PC Settings" where I saw the option to turn off/on the decryption of the hard drive. I turned it off there, and all is fine now after about 35 minutes of it decrypting the drive. (Office 2007 reactivated fine, too.)

The issue now--I'm trying to "image" this drive and the programs aren't finding it (AOEMI Backupper and "Drive Snapshot"). There is a "D" Windows partition, at any rate I'm simply trying to take a "snapshot" of its current condition because I'm considering trying out Windows 10 and want to be able to quickly "backtrack" if I decide to just stick with 8.1.

Edited by larrytxeast, 28 October 2015 - 06:20 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:38 AM

I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the BitLocker problem.

As for cloning your hdd.  I'm not familiar with the software you are trying to use, what I was able to find and read it seems to be a little more complicated than Macrium Reflect which I prefer.  But this is a personal preference.  If you would like to try this software it is free to download, and you can find a tutorial for it here.

Edited by dc3, 29 October 2015 - 07:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users