Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need some help in setting up an ASUS B150M-A Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:20 PM

Guys & gals,

I recently ordered a new ASUS B150M-A D3 motherboard to use in building a new system. Before I got the motherboard in the mail, I looked on the ASUS web site and read the Overview document. It stated that the board supported Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit OS. Next to Windows 7 there was a footnote that stated that I should visit the ASUS web site and download the Windows 7 Installation Guide and the ASUS EZ Installer. I went to the web site and could not find any reference to either of these two items.

After getting the motherboard, I looked into the DVD that came with it and found a folder labeled EZ Installer. However, there was no Windows 7 Installation Guide that I could find. I figured that this guide must contain some important information on installing Windows 7 with the board or they would not have made mention of it in the Overview document. I called ASUS tech support tonight with the hope that they would be able to provide me with a link that I could use to access the Windows 7 Installation Guide. Unfortunately, tech support is located overseas and we had a poor connection, so communication was difficult. Finally, the lady told me that she would send me a link to the information that I needed. This turned out to be Installation Instructions for Windows 7 and USB 3.0 driver for the 100 series and Braswell hardware. Since my installation DVD is labeled "B150M Series", I'm thinking that the instructions that she sent to me are not what I need.

Has anyone else used this motherboard and if so do you have the Windows 7 Installation Guide? Do you have any advice about installing Windows 7 64-bit OS and ASUS drivers using this motherboard. (The user's guide describes the hardware and installation instructions and describes how to work with the BIOS, but says nothing about software and driver installation.)

Edited by Warthog-Fan, 27 October 2015 - 05:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

http://www.asus.com/US/Motherboards/B150M-A-D3/HelpDesk_Manual/

Louis

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

I think I found the document they refer to.  You do have a 100 series motherboard (B150).  It appears to be to do with the USB keyboard/mouse not being available during setup, because Windows 7 has no suitable USB 3.0 (XHCI) driver.

It's probably going to be easiest to use the Asus EZ Installer as that modifies the Windows installer to include the needed drivers.

It's not just Asus, other companies are also offering tools to support installing Windows 7 on these new motherboards, e.g.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

Jon,

Thank you for this information. I did a thorough Google search for this document before posting this question but I did not find it. However, the document that you found is the same as the document that the lady from ASUS tech support sent me the other night, but it came from a different URL. I'd have had more confidence that it was the correct document if it hadn't sounded like she was trying to convince herself, as well as me, that it was what I needed. Now I have more confidence that I'll be able to do this install correctly and end up with a working system.

It's unfortunate that since ASUS knows that installing Windows 7 is an issue, that they did not include a copy of this procedure along with the motherboard; it's only a few pages long. It would also have been nice if this document was listed along with all the other documents in the Manuals and Documents section for this motherboard on the ASUS site. I think that I'll give Tech Support a call and suggest that they do this. It may save some other customers a lot of frustration.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

Yes they should make it clearer, would save a lot of hassle.

I'm surprised it's an issue really as the motherboard does have USB 2.0 controllers (natively supported by Windows 7) as well as USB 3.0, but perhaps there is something different about the hardware I'm not aware of.  Anyway, the EZ Installer tool looks fairly easy to use.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

I finally got the processor chip for this motherboard installation. I assume that the proper steps in doing the system software installation are to:

1) Install the Windows 7 OS from the modified Windows 7 installation file.

2) Install the drivers that are included on the DVD that came with the motherboard.

3) Install any utility programs that are included on the DVD that came with the motherboard.

Sound right?

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:16 AM

Yes sounds right.  3) is optional IMO, I don't install utilities I'm never going to use.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

I'm not sure if this topic should be posted here or on the Windows 7 forum, but since I started this thread, I'll put it here.

I finally got my system put together, using a SSD for the C: drive. I started to load the modified Windows installation disk but had a problem getting it to work, so I decided to install Windows 64-bit from the original installation DVD to see if that would work. The installation started and I got close to the end where I was asked to enter a name for the user account and a name for the computer. That's when I found out that some of the keys on the keyboard didn't seem to work. This was a mini-USB keyboard and it seemed to have trouble with the NUM LOCK not working properly and forcing some of the alpha keys to be numbers instead. I entered names for the user and computer, but had to terminate the installation because I couldn't enter the Validation Key properly.

I found out what I was doing wrong with the modified installation disk, so I loaded it and was able to install Windows without any difficulty. Even the keyboard worked correctly this time. When the installation was completed, I got the message "This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine".

I could only think of two things - either the Windows disks that I bought on eBay were counterfeit (they sure looked authentic!) or the process of modifying the installation file with the USB 3.0 drivers for the ASUS motherboard somehow was causing Windows to think that the version was not genuine.

I figured that I would just try to reinstall Windows using the original installation disk to see if I got the same message about Windows not being genuine. After booting from it, I was given the option of doing a Custom installation that would replace whatever was on the disk with the new OS. So I chose Custom and was shown a list of partitions on Disk 0 and asked where I wanted to install Windows. The first partition on Disk 0 was listed as the Windows System Reserved Partition. I picked the second one and got the message: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks." Now, here is probably where I messed up. I had the option of formatting the partition or deleting it. I probably should have chosen to format the partition, but instead I selected DELETE, thinking that this would allow the Windows installation program to create a new partition of the type that it needed. The list of available disks now showed that Disk 0 contained 238 GB of unallocated space. Then I clicked the New button which I assumed would create a new partition of 228 GB. Nope, the list still showed that the disk contained unallocated space and I still got the message about the disk being the wrong formatting type and it being unusable.

At this point I have no idea how to proceed. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

The "not genuine" message, I've run into it when re-installing an OEM (legitimate) copy of Windows 7.  Immediately after installation, for some reason, it had decided it was a pirate installation, even though it wasn't.  You still get some functionality but it shows black wallpaper and the message in the bottom right.  In that particular instance, activating the installation online with the genuine product key was all that was needed to get rid of the warning.  To get online, obviously you need to install LAN or wireless drivers as applicable.

I suspect it was something to do with installing an OEM version on a system that already contained an operating system, but I'm not certain.  Your installation #2 may have detected a previously installed operating system.

If it refuses activation with your product key, then you may have another problem, and may need a call to MS.

The second issue you mention is because of a partition type mis-match with the mode you are installing in.  If it's installing in UEFI mode, then you have to install to a GPT partitioned disk, and if installing in legacy mode then it has to install to an MBR partitioned disk.

From my recollection, simply deleting ALL partitions so that the entire disk is unallocated space (remember to delete "System Reserved" if present) will allow it to install.  More info here - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

Edited by jonuk76, 08 November 2015 - 06:04 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

Jon,

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I was originally going to try to activate it online but then I thought that if the problem was a messed-up installation file, and Microsoft decided that it wasn't a valid product, their system might remember that, even if I managed to get it fixed on my end.

Another thing that concerns me was that I decided to download Windows 7 SP1 and install it, rather than installing the original version that I have and then go through all of the updating process to get me to the SP1 level. In order to download the SP1 ISO, I had to enter my Product Key and when I did so, I received a message that my product was not eligible for the upgrade. It didn't say that the key was bogus, just that I wasn't eligible. The FAQ said that the reasons for this might be that I had an OEM version, an Enterprise version, etc. My product is supposed to be a Retail version so I didn't think that it fit into any of those categories.

I'll try the method of deleting all partitions, and then reinstalling with the ASUS-modified install disk. If the installation completes and I still get the message that the program is not genuine, I will try the online activation. If that doesn't work, I'll try to call Microsoft and see what's goin' on.

#11 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

Jon,

Thanks again for the suggestions above. I looked around online and found a procedure for installing Windows 7 and part of that involved a series of operations in the Command window to clean the SSD of all information and formatting and put it into an Uninitialized state. I ran that procedure and then went on to install the OS. Everything went smoothly and its now installed and does not indicate that Windows isn't genuine.

I did the installation without the 500 GB D: drive connected to the motherboard. When the OS was in place, I shut down the computer and plugged in the SATA cable. When I turned power back on again, I looked in Windows Explorer but did not see the D: drive listed. I restarted and went into the BIOS and noted that the 500 GB drive was shown as being connected to SATA 2, so at least the BIOS sees that it's there.

I opened a CMD window and typed DISKPART, and then LIST DISK. It showed me that I have two disks, 0 and 1. Interestingly enough, the SSD seemed to be listed as Disk 1, while the HDD was listed as Disk 0. I had expected that the boot disk would have been shown as Disk 0. I was going to run a FORMAT command against Disk 0, but decided that I'd better ask if there was anything else that I need to do instead to get the computer to recognize the HDD in Windows Explorer. The HDD did not come with any paperwork, so I don't know if it's supposed to be pre-formatted or not. Do you have any suggestions as to what I need to do at this point?

Thanks (again) in advance.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:05 PM

If your 500gb drive is new then it does need formatting to work. Once that's done it'll be assigned a drive letter, and will appear in explorer.  Guide here if you need it - http://www.overclock.net/t/1227647/how-to-initialize-and-format-a-new-disk-for-use-in-windows

I assume the Windows disk number depends on the SATA port it's plugged into, but I don't know for sure.  Sometimes SATA ports are confusingly laid out and labelled...

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:43 PM

Using the link above, I was able to partition and format the HDD. Funny thing was that last night LIST DISK showed me that the HDD was Disk 0 and the SSD was Disk 1. Well, today those two items were reversed and the HDD was Disk 1. Strange - but only one of several strange things that have happened during the course of this build.

The next thing that I did was to attempt to install all of the drivers that come on the ASUS DVD. On the first try, the installation crashed after about 60% of the drivers were installed. I then started the driver installation again and all of the remaining drivers except the Realtek Audio Driver installed successfully. I then tried installing the Realtek driver again, twice, and both times it got to 99% and then quite and said that the driver didn't install. The speaker icon in the System Tray has a red "X" thru it, so that means no audio.

There may be something configured incorrectly in the BIOS but the motherboard manual is seriously lacking in information. For the Advanced Settings screen, it only shows a photo of the screen, but gives no information as to what the items on the Advanced screen are or how to configure them.

Here is what the Advanced screen has for audio settings. (Bold type indicates the current settings).

HD Audio Controller    Enabled / Disabled

Front Panel Type    HD Audio / AC97

SPDIF Out Type   SPDIF / HDMI

I'm not sure why having one or more of these items set incorrectly would prevent the driver from loading.

#14 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:47 PM

Hmm, odd.

The BIOS settings look like they should be.  I doubt changing any of them would help.  The HDAudio/AC97 thing is for old cases with AC97 standard front panel connectors.  HDAudio is standard on cases made in the last few years.  I'd maybe suggest downloading the audio driver from Asus and trying that.  There is one dated 09/09/15 which is newer than the driver first released.

7sbvuf-6.png

#15 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:02 PM

I did a quick check of the audio connector from the front panel of the chassis to the motherboard and found that it was labeled HD AUDIO so that proves that the BIOS settings are correct.

I found the new driver on the ASUS web site last night and downloaded it, but it was too late to do any more work so this morning I unzipped the files onto a USB drive using my working computer and then proceeded to install the driver software onto the new computer. It is not connected to the Internet as yet. I want to get the basic functions of the computer working properly before downloading and installing anti-virus, anti-malware, etc. but I'll do it if I need to.

I ran the installation and received the message that the driver installed successfully. I rebooted and then checked the speaker icon in the System Tray and it still had the red "X" through it. Hovering the mouse over it showed the following message: "No Audio Output Device is installed."

I went into the Device Manager to Sound, Video, and Game Controllers. Two devices were listed: High Definition Audio Device and Intel Display Audio. A quick check of the Intel device showed me that the device was working correctly.

I double clicked the High Definition Audio Device and under the General tab it showed: "No drivers are installed for this device". I clicked the Driver tab and then clicked the Update Drivers button. Windows worked on it for a few seconds and then put up an error window with the following information:

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Realtek High Definition Audio

The extended attributes are inconsistent."

I was advised to go to the manufacturer's web site and look for another driver. But that's what I just loaded. I think that I'll hook up the computer to the internet and let Windows search for a driver itself to see if it can find something that works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users