Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most buttons on my task bar don't work

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CG_5

CG_5

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

Greetings,

Recently I have started to experience a problem with Windows 10.

The buttons glowing red below do not do anything when pressed anymore.

e74fc2299bcb4e3b187f209b97f81137.png

Things I've tried

- Going into Task Manager and Restarting Windows Explorer.exe

- Restarting the computer

- Doing a virus and malware scan with AVG & Malwarebytes

- Yelling at the computer

- Googling the problem

- Praying to the lord of computers

The above has not worked, so any suggestions / help would be much appreciated.

~ CG_5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

Give the steps on THIS PAGE a try

If no joy from all the steps there....Then a reset may be the easiest way out.

Be aware...your files will be saved....but....you will still have a bit of legwork to do after the reset.

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then re installs Windows. To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.

Keep my files

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.

• Removes apps and drivers you installed.

• Removes changes you made to settings.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 CG_5

CG_5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for your response,

I have looked through the troubleshooter and have had no luck (As always with windows's troubleshooters), however a Reset would be the last thing I'd resort to, as I am running a full Bitcoin node that would risk corrupting my data and loosing hundreds of dollars worth of Bitcoin. I'll wait and see if there are any more suggestions before I do such a risky thing.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:56 PM

The actual procedure is not considered risky....however in your circumstances I understand it could be.

Can the 'bitcoin node' be backed up to an external drive.....(I know nothing about bitcoin nodes !)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 CG_5

CG_5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:16 PM

The actual procedure is not considered risky....however in your circumstances I understand it could be.

Can the 'bitcoin node' be backed up to an external drive.....(I know nothing about bitcoin nodes !)

Yes a Bitcoin node can be backed up, but I believe I have fixed the issue with another Google Search. :)

For all those who had the same problem, I fixed it using this thread on Microsoft's Forums: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/fix-windows-10-taskbar-not-working-fix-build-10074/6b13e8b6-b30b-4e80-aa7c-a4a3939195ea?auth=1

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:19 PM

Well done !

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users