Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue on bootup.. very strange.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 StrayPredator

StrayPredator

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

Greetings! This is actually my first time posting on any forum ever for any type of PC help, I usually can figure it out via google and troubleshooting it myself. I pre-apologize for any formatting issues or scattered data, I am so sorry but I really am not sure where to go with this.

First up:
Specs:
OS: Windows 10 home 64 bit (I previously had windows 7)
Mobo: Sabertooth Z97 Mark S LGA 1150
CPU: i7 4790k @ 4ghz
CPU Cooler: H110i GTX (listing this because it is hooked up to the motherboard)
GPU: GTX 980ti MSI
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w
CD Drive: ASUS DVD-Writer Black SATA
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 gb 2x8gb 240 pin ddr3 @ 1866
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1tb

Before I go into it, this same exact error has occurred on both Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit. (for all intensive purposes any troubleshooting that I have done has been on Windows 10)

The root of the problem is this: On bootup, after being shut down for a while (longer than a couple of minutes) the PC will start up fine, but BSOD with 2 errors popping up on different times:

" frown.gif  Your PC Ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. "

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is shown along the bottom on some boots, while MEMORY_MANAGEMENT is shown on other boots.

The confusing part is that the PC will then boot up with no issues, load any games that I am playing, run the internet, do just about anything I want it to do with no issues.

I've tried to recreate the issue, in which I will completely shutdown the PC, flush out the power and attempt a reboot, but it will then boot up fine..

I leave for work, come home that night and boot it up.. SAME. ISSUE. I don't understand it.

I've looked up both of these codes and a lot of sites and forums point to faulty RAM, DIMM slots or conflicting drivers, I've ran Memtest86 (8 passes no errors), reseated the RAM, tried different DIMM slots.

The last thing I've noticed is it seems to take my computer approx 2 minutes to shutdown, with hardly anything running in the background. Including this information if it could possibly mean something.

If anyone would like to speak to me more about this please feel free to contact me, if it is easier we can talk through email, skype.. anything that will make it easier.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:06 PM

Your PFN List is invalid, this thing is called a Page Frame Database which by itself is one big one-dimensional array. And about MEMORY_MANAGEMENT:

The "0X0000001A" error also known as the Memory_Management error occurs when the system memory malfunctions. Every system has at least two memory banks and the memory is installed on it. If the problem is in one of them then the total system memory decreases and the operating system gives you the blue screen error of Memory_Management.

Since you ran the Memory Diagnostic and it came back clear it means that the RAM is not at fault, but it could be the drivers. Don't worry the BSOD Kernel Dump Expert will happily help you soon.

#3 StrayPredator

StrayPredator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:10 PM

Thank you so much for the reply CodeSmasha! I appreciate the quick reply and explaining the PFN error.

I too feel like it's either a conflict with a driver or a faulty driver, I'm just unsure of where to start looking or afraid to download the wrong ones, then it bricks my system!

I'll wait eagerly for BSOD Kernel Dump Expert! Thanks again!

#4 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

You're Welcome :grinner:

#5 StrayPredator

StrayPredator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

Just got a new error code.. it reset and now I'm on the computer with no issues as of yet, but I know when I turn it off it will be the same issue. I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue.

The code: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION

It reset a second time, then booted fine after restarting.

#6 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:25 AM

Looks like your drivers are trying to restart WW2 just kidding.

About that too: 

A driver has written to an invalid section of the special pool.

Edited by CodeSmasha, 28 October 2015 - 03:27 AM.

#7 StrayPredator

StrayPredator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:50 AM

Hahah yeah, just need to find out which drivers... would running that "Verifier" program help me find any leads..

After doing some reading I'm wondering if it could be with my USB devices.. AVG or my graphics drivers.. I saw Nvidia has some issues but I think it's fixed.

Another peculiar thing I'm seeing is when I boot up my pc my mouse (Steelseries Sensei) is always unpowered.. then I unplug it from the back of the pc and re-plug it back in with no issues. Could be a lead?

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

Sorry to butt in here, but I've seen several instances of bad RAM passing MemTest86 and MemTest86+ testing.

The way we found out it was a RAM problem was by running Prime95 (the Blend test).  Run it for several hours (or until an error shows up).

Another way is to try separate sticks of RAM individually - but that is very time consuming.

Also, what's the BIOS/UEFI version on your motherboard?  The latest version is 2601

Most of the updates are to increase system stability - which seems to point at your problem.

But there's also notes about special circumstances for the 5th gen Intel processors - so read the pages carefully and ensure that you have all the driver updates that are needed.

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 StrayPredator

StrayPredator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:05 AM

Not butting in at all usasma, I appreciate all the help so far!

I'll get Prime 95 tonight when i get home from work.

The first thing I did was update the BIOS, it is the current 2601 version as well.

One of my main fears would be if it was something off of the CD that came with the Mobo, I believe I did the Intel USB drivers, I honestly can't fully remember if I did anything else.

Where would I find those notes about the processors?

I'll go through the BSOD posting notes when I get home, run Sysnative and Perfmon. After that I'll run Driver Verifier and HDD Diagnostics, then Prime.

Do you think that this would also have something to do with the really slow shutdown times? (With hardly any apps running in the background)

Edited by StrayPredator, 28 October 2015 - 11:06 AM.

#10 StrayPredator

StrayPredator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

So as an update to the history of this system, I originally had gotten windows 7 Home 64-bit, booted up, installed AI Suite 3 for the sabertooth, and some drivers off of the CD such as my LAN drivers, USB drivers etc. NOW.. while doing this my pc rebooted while the USB drivers were installed, so I couldn't access my USBs, I then did a reboot with f8 @ the windows load screen and rebooted with last known good configuration, got the USBs working.  That's when I noticed the BSOD began.. so I did a reformat and reinstalled windows 7 and only installed very specific drivers. STILL had the issue, so I decided to do the Windows 10 upgrade to see if that would help in any way.

After the install, I had no issues for a little while but then I started running into a lot of slow downs and other things with windows 10. Read up about how upgrading from 7 to 10 can cause a lot of issues so I ran out to Best Buy and grabbed a copy of windows 10 home premium. Installed Windows 10 and deleted the "windows.old" folder since it was eating up a ton of space (Had installed a lot of games from Steam), used the Cleanup tool then had no problems, ran smoothly, downloaded and installed. However.. the slow boot down was still there.. and then the BSOD came back.  That's when I posted on this forum.

Sorry for the rant-like thread, but giving some more backstory.

Edited by StrayPredator, 28 October 2015 - 01:02 PM.

#11 StrayPredator

StrayPredator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:53 PM

Just got home and booted up, another BSOD with code: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE if that helps.

Just did a quick search online: "The most common reason for this appearing is due to drivers you were using for the previous version of Windows are not compatible with the new Windows 10"

I honestly do think it's the drivers, I'll run the verifier to see if I can't narrow it down and post the results.

Edited by StrayPredator, 28 October 2015 - 05:55 PM.

#12 StrayPredator

StrayPredator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

Finished up perfmon and sysnative bsod dump, please see the attached, the perfmon picked up 2 disabled/failed devices.. could be the culprit.

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   311.5KB   7 downloadsAttached File  perfmon.zip   162.77KB   5 downloads

Edited by StrayPredator, 28 October 2015 - 06:15 PM.

#13 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:14 PM

More Details for you here: 

The KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE bug check has a value of 0x00000139. This bug check indicates that the kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.

and more:

Most causes of this bug check tend to be self explanatory and easy to diagnose. One exception is code 3, LIST_ENTRY corruption. This type of bug check can be difficult to track down and indicates that an inconsistency has been introduced into a doubly-linked list (detected when an individual list entry element is added to or removed from the list). Unfortunately, the inconsistency is not necessarily detected at the time when the corruption occurred, so some detective work may be necessary to identify the root cause.

Sorry to butt in here, but I've seen several instances of bad RAM passing MemTest86 and MemTest86+ testing.

The way we found out it was a RAM problem was by running Prime95 (the Blend test).  Run it for several hours (or until an error shows up).

Another way is to try separate sticks of RAM individually - but that is very time consuming.

Also, what's the BIOS/UEFI version on your motherboard?  The latest version is 2601

Most of the updates are to increase system stability - which seems to point at your problem.

But there's also notes about special circumstances for the 5th gen Intel processors - so read the pages carefully and ensure that you have all the driver updates that are needed.

Like Usasma said extended tests on it might find some problems. Anyway i'm off to be the bravest man in the world at the moment.

#14 StrayPredator

StrayPredator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:56 AM

Booted it this morning before work, got this bad boy: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (win32kfull.sys), followed by turning off, then i booted it back up and got KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE again with a perfectly fine boot.

I made a system restore point and began running the verifier as instructed in the BSOD steps.

My question about verifier (and trust me I've checked online but can't seem to find a straight answer) after I do the reboot with it do I just let my computer idle? or do I have turn it off and try to recreate the BSOD? or do I have to have it on and try and use a bunch of different programs to cause a driver failure or something?

After running verifier for the full 24 hours I'm going to be running Prime because I want to single out driver issues before I start trying to test hardware.

Reading up on a few other posts around the web describing the same issues.. crashing.. then reboot and it's fine and quite a few pointed towards old MOBO drivers that were preinstalled or something like that..  I really do think it's the drivers causing this.. I just dont know how to locate the old ones or where to go to update them properly

Edited by StrayPredator, 29 October 2015 - 02:01 PM.

#15 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:03 PM

Among many other Blue Screen of Death errors, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION is the one that is also commonly displayed on the screen. Sometimes this error arises due to incompatibility between Windows 8 and AMD drivers. On the other hand, most users face SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error due to update number KB2778344 that Microsoft has developed as a Windows 8 update.

I think it maybe directed right at the update or the AMD drivers. Do you have a AMD GPU Installed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users