Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing AMD driver causes black screen.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 T.Hartog

T.Hartog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:46 PM

I am new to this forum and i hope this is the right category.

So i was playing heroes of the storm when suddenly my screen went all weird with a sort of horizontal purple-ish lines across the screen. My computer didn't respond to any mouse or keyboard input so i restarted it hoping it would be gone when it booted up.. it was. until shortly after it happened again. First those now flickering lines and then they were gone and came back and then a complete crash. i restarted my system again and the same thing happened and right before it crashed it gave me the following warning: ''amd display driver stopped responding and has recovered''. I have an AMD radeon HD 7770 series video card.

So i thought that it must be something with either my driver or my video card. When i booted my pc up again it never got to the login screen... just a black screen. I tried booting up in safe mode what worked and disabled the display driver. Booting up normally it worked until it didn't. Back in safe mode i checked the display driver in device manager again and it wasn't disabled any more. I now uninstalled the driver completely but when i booted up black  screen... Back to safe mode and sure enough.. the driver was reinstalled. I then disabled some windows function that automatically re-installed it and when i now boot up normally it was fine. Checking the device manager i see that i am now using Windows Basic Display Adapter. 

So i go to the AMD site to download the newest drivers (amd-catalyst-15.10beta) and install them and as soon as it is installing the graphics driver my screen goes black. I looked around on the internet and someone suggested to use Display Driver Uninstaller. So i did and when i re-installed the drivers it was wrong... 

Could this be a problem with my videocard itself? And if so. How come i can still use my screen..

BTW I also use a DVI screen and nothing changed.

So now i can use my computer but only in a way that doesn't stress videocard.. so no games..

My specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
AMD FX-4170

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz 

Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M LX V2 (AM3R2)

Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Storage
931GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS90 ATA Device

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I really hope someone knows the answer..

Edited by T.Hartog, 27 October 2015 - 12:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

This very well could be a hardware problem, I have seen this countless times with bad video cards and or power problems, rarely a motherboard pci-e problem. Likely, this is either psu related or the video card itself, these were the 2 most common causes if no software changes took place. If you happen to have a different video card to test with, that would be the fastest part to replace to start with.

One thing you can check for inside your computer is for blown or bulging capacitors, check the motherboard and the video card.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

One last note: I have also seen this issue in windows 10, you might try a different OS to rule that out.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

If you are using Windows 10, that may be the issue. A lot of gamers are having trouble with AMD's Windows 10 drivers. Roll back to an earlier version (not a beta) and try that. If you can't find any Windows 10 drivers that work, try one meant for Windows 7 or 8.

If that fails, try installing it on a different computer NOT running Windows 10. Windows 7, or 8, or even XP is fine. That way you can see if it is the card or the drivers.

#5 T.Hartog

T.Hartog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:43 AM

This very well could be a hardware problem, I have seen this countless times with bad video cards and or power problems, rarely a motherboard pci-e problem. Likely, this is either psu related or the video card itself, these were the 2 most common causes if no software changes took place. If you happen to have a different video card to test with, that would be the fastest part to replace to start with.

One thing you can check for inside your computer is for blown or bulging capacitors, check the motherboard and the video card.

Oke, so I checked for blown or bulging capacitors and those all looked good. You say it could be a problem with the psu? How could I check if that is the case?

And I am already looking for a new video card, I thought about buying one before so it wouldn't be terrible if my current one is broken. But if it is a psu problem could it then damage my new card?

#6 T.Hartog

T.Hartog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

If you are using Windows 10, that may be the issue. A lot of gamers are having trouble with AMD's Windows 10 drivers. Roll back to an earlier version (not a beta) and try that. If you can't find any Windows 10 drivers that work, try one meant for Windows 7 or 8.

If that fails, try installing it on a different computer NOT running Windows 10. Windows 7, or 8, or even XP is fine. That way you can see if it is the card or the drivers.

But it was working fine with windows 10 before. It seeds odd that with no software change it suddenly doesn't work any more.. right?

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

It is odd, but not impossible. Cheapest is to test to see if it is a software problem, such as the drivers. I would rollback to some reliable AMD drivers and if that failed, put the card in another computer to see how it performs. If it performs lousy, then it is the card.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:42 AM

I agree with the others - probably hardware, but not certain enough to suggest buying a new card.

Trying all the different software fixes may help, but if not then try another video card.  If you don't have one handy, you may consider purchasing one from a retailer that will let you return it for your money back if it's not needed (that way you won't be out any money if the card isn't to blame).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

There are a few ways to test a psu, the best method is to use a volt meter but this takes a bit of know how and the easier method would be to just use hwmonitor to check your 3v, 5v and 12v (voltages): http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

HWmonitor may not report voltages or work from safe mode but it is worth a try.

You might also consider trying a bootable linux distro such as mint just as a test: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

If linux crashes or has errors related to the video card, you can be fairly certain the issue is hardware related. If linux works, it doesn't completely rule out the os, linux handles errors differently than windows.

If no windows updates happened when your crash happened or no software changes occured, due to the symptoms, it does seem to me hardware is a strong possibility.

usama makes a good point about trying a card from a retailer that allows returns.

#10 T.Hartog

T.Hartog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:29 PM

Okey, so because i already was planning on buying a new card i bought the gigabyte GTX 960 4gb. And at first when i installed the drivers and rebooted my computer my mouse and keyboard weren't responding but with some trial and error i found out that the uninstalling of the AMD CCC was the cause. So i used DDU and now it seems to be working fine. 

I want to thank you for the time you invested into my problem. Thank you all.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:36 PM

Glad to help, happy computing :)

#12 maikill

maikill

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:04 AM

Hi i have the same problem, can you tell me more details about how you solve the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users