Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing boot order with secure boot enabled

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 71619997a

71619997a

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

Basically, I have a really bleepty BIOS that will only let me change the boot order with secure boot disabled and legacy boot enabled. I need secure boot because I just installed windows 10 onto a new drive and it won't activate. I have heard that this has something to do with secure boot being disabled. I still have the activated drive, which is the primary drive. Is there anything I can do to change the boot order?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

What happened when you tried the F12 [if it works, u-choose which device to boot]?

Ooops, I think SecureBoot only allows DVD or internal HD [w/OS] to boot.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 October 2015 - 01:15 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

Isn't it possible to go into BIOS and set up a single boot "as you'd like it" with secure boot off then go in once that boot has succeeded, arrange things as you'd like as far as which hard drive to boot from, and turn secure boot back on?

I could swear I've seen this discussed, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

I did put a post in the Win10 Tips & Hints thread about how to get into BIOS at boot time to make these tweaks if your machine is post-UEFI.  When I did get into BIOS myself it appeared I could turn secure boot off, rearrange my boot device order, and turn secure boot back on but I didn't try that because I had no need to do so.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

If the computer is UEFI then you need to add the boot option if you do not see your DVD listed. Secure Boot needs to be off.

DSCN0802.jpg

Most modern computers also give you a boot menu by tapping a key at boot which lets you select the boot device.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

Most modern computers also give you a boot menu by tapping a key at boot which lets you select the boot device.

John, is that true on UEFI computers with Secure Boot enabled?   If it is I'd love to know what that key is for my HP laptop.

I'm accustomed to having function key access to both BIOS and the Boot Options but have not had any success in finding it/activating it on this laptop.  It's not like I use it very often but it was so much easier to do a BIOS tweak or a Boot Order tweak on those rare occasions it was needed pre-UEFI/Win8.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:04 PM

Sorry, I was not clear enough. You can't boot any device with Secure Boot enabled other than the OS HDD or a DVD/USB flash drive install of Windows 8 and later if I can remember. If you tap Esc at boot does it allow you to boot a device from legacy mode? I have a HP desktop that has UEFI and tapping Esc gives some menu options including Legacy mode but I don't have SecureBoot in the UEFI.

Edit: I am still trying to wrap my head around UEFI. I know that you cannot boot a disk on a UEFI computer unless it is GPT. The best page I found on it is here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 October 2015 - 03:15 PM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:44 PM

John,

Thanks for mentioning the "tapping Esc during startup" technique.  On my HP laptop this does indeed cause a variant of a startup menu to appear.  Details (including some very brief overview on UEFI) for HP machines is shown on this support webpage.  My startup menu is white text on a black background but in all other respects it's identical to the blue background/white text screen capture that's shown there.

This method is so much easier than doing the iterative restarts of Win10 that I mentioned on the Hints thread.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

What's the make and model of the system (or the motherboard if it's a custom build)?

On a Secure Boot enabled system, if you don't have UEFI boot devices, in general they won't show up in the boot menu - even if you select the boot menu key

For example, if you have a bootable DVD that's not UEFI capable - then it won't show up

If you have a bootable DVD that is UEFI capable - then it will show up.

To further confuse things, there may be some settings in the UEFI for letting devices show (such as USB devices (CD/DVD and/or flash/external drives), network drives, and regular CD/DVD drives)

As for needing Secure Boot to activate - that's not true.  Otherwise you wouldn't be able to activate W10 on W7 systems that have been updated - and I've done that many times.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users