Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 App Store Missing and Other Apps not working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CompuhelpNC

CompuhelpNC

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:16 PM

After downloading Windows 10, thing worked well for a few weeks. After trying to download "Windows Essentials", my  entire system has been in disarray. I went back to a previous version of Windows 10 before the corruption, but now NONE of my native Windows10 apps will open. I receive the following error: "There's a problem with (whichever app). Contact your system administrator about repairing or reinstalling it."

The PC App Store icon is gone completely (as is the Microsoft Edge app and icon), and when trying to open it through "Search", I receive the following error: "Problem With Shortcut: The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'PC App Store.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again."

I've tried the wsreset fix, but receive the following error: "MS-Windows-store.PurgeCaches. The application cannot be started. Try reinstalling the app to fix the problem."

If anyone can provide any help at all, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:01 PM

Try the first step to see if re-registering your apps helps.  The rest of the steps will help with overall stability.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 CompuhelpNC

CompuhelpNC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:21 PM

Thank you so much for the response.

Where do I find the updated drivers/programs for W10?

Thank you again!

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:01 PM

As usasma mentioned in his prior post, updated drivers are most often obtained via the support pages for your particular computer on the website of that computer's manufacturer.  What website that is depends on the make of your machine.   If it's custom built then it's worth looking on the site of the manufacturer of the CPU/APU that's in your machine.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 CompuhelpNC

CompuhelpNC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

Thank you usasma and britechguy for your responses!

I did the Powershell command, and it said it "100% completed" all of the different apps - but sadly, none of them still work. I still receive the same error message wen trying to open referencing "Contact Administrator to repair or reinstall".

I wiped and re-installed my AV, along with checking through Lenovo's site (I have a Lenovo Touch Ideapad) for drivers. There was one for bluetooth, another for the camera, etc., but seemingly nothing to address Windows 10 or apps. 

I also tried to find drivers through Microsoft's website, but it doesn't appear that they have any yet available for download for W10?

Any other help you guys can provide would be extremely helpful - everything on W10 was working totally fine for weeks, that's why I'm so frustrated that I'm having all of these issues now.

(Also, "Cortana" is gone, there's still no "App Store" and I can open Microsoft Edge through Microsoft's website, but there's no icon on my taskbar signifying that it's open, and it doesn't exist when I try to search for it on my computer.)

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

It looks like there's some damage to your OS.

There's several things to try:

- DISM and SFC

- Reset using Keep My Files

- Reset using Remove Everything

Here's how to run DISM/SFC:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

To run the Reset's - Open Start, then Settings, then Update and Security, then  Recovery, then click on the Get Started button under the Reset section

If using the Remove Everything option - be sure to backup your stuff before proceeding, as everything will be wiped.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 ziva1995

ziva1995

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:39 AM

Hy all, i just mistakely repaired the problem on my PC w10 :3 When i pres windows button all w10 apps were fade out, and they had a little (!) sign in bottom right corner... Now they are all good and work, not shure if this is fix bc i fixed it mistakely :3
1. (windows button)+x
2. system
3. system protection (or something like that, my pc is not on english, and my english is bad so, sorry on that)

4. configure 
5. disable protection, apply, delete, continiou, apply, ok, ok
6. (you need to repeat 4,5 for all disk drives you have, if you have only 1 drive go for next step)
7. system protection
8. configure
9. enable protection, apply, ok (for all drives), ok

Soo, let me know if this helps you :3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users