Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My ac adapter is melting, what do I do?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ramiro01

ramiro01

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:49 AM

Hi, 

i have a lenovo ideapad yoga and I noticed some green ish liquid between where the cord and ac adapter meet/connect. What could be the cause of this? Could I be overreacting

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:53 AM

Might be shorting out, or as you said - overheating.  Can you try another brick awhile to see if it's only the ac adapter is faulty, and not also the laptop contributing to the problem in some way?

Edited by RolandJS, 27 October 2015 - 01:35 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

That green stuff is probably some kind of seal or adhesive. It definitely should not leak out of the adapter!

How hot is the ac adapter brick?

#4 ramiro01

ramiro01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:38 PM

i downloaded speedfan and the temparatures are fine so i dont think it should be overheating

everything is working fine i didnt notice this until 2 weeks ago, i dont know how long its been like this

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

That's a definite fire hazard ! Spend the $15 to $30 and get a new adapter.

If the transformer shorts out in that thing you could do some serious damage to your comp, too.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

i downloaded speedfan and the temparatures are fine so i dont think it should be overheating

everything is working fine i didnt notice this until 2 weeks ago, i dont know how long its been like this

Computer software won't tell you the temperature of that power supply. When I meant hot, I meant is the actual ac adapter brick hot to the touch. Can it be handled or is it so hot you could fry eggs on it? If it is really hot, it may be defective and need replacing.

#7 ramiro01

ramiro01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

it gets kinda hot when im charging my laptop i think i can still grab it without the hotness being too much

dont know why it would get too hot to the point of not workng any more am i doing something wrong or is this a faulty lenovo product

Edited by ramiro01, 27 October 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:48 PM

Nothing lasts forever..... Product Recalls
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:46 PM

it gets kinda hot when im charging my laptop i think i can still grab it without the hotness being too much

dont know why it would get too hot to the point of not workng any more am i doing something wrong or is this a faulty lenovo product

Lenovo is pretty cheap these days. It does not surprise me you got a bad ac adapter. It definitely sounds like that adapter needs replacing. I wouldn't use it anymore if I were you, sounds like a fire hazard.

Maybe Lenovo should recall those ac adapters as well.

#10 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

Unfortunately it is not possible to get any useful information from your photographs.

Is it possible that your that this connection has got wet? - copper (or brass) corrosion would produce a green liquid or deposit.

#11 ramiro01

ramiro01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:43 PM

Unfortunately it is not possible to get any useful information from your photographs.

Is it possible that your that this connection has got wet? - copper (or brass) corrosion would produce a green liquid or deposit.

i really doubt it has gotten wet, im very careful. it looks like green liquid, if we assume this is true, what should i do? how can i solve/fix/lessen/stop the problem?

#12 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

I would disconnect the adaptor from the mains supply, separate the connection & clean out the green liquid (using paper wipes/cotton buds  or similar, possibly dampened with water or an alcohol e.g isopropanol or methylated spirits)   After ensuring that all parts are completely dry then refit them & test to see if further "leakage" occurs. If you have an alternative mains cord available I would use that & discard the original. 

If the problem recurs then replacing the ac adaptor & mains cord would seem sensible. 

Edited by rqt, 27 October 2015 - 06:28 PM.

#13 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:45 PM

Don't know how much I trust lenovo anymore, they were caught installing bios backdoors, and have very frequent recalls.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:57 PM

This isn't your adapter but I thought you might have fun watching and see what is likely leaking....the capacitors.

I know you won't attempt this repair and strongly suggest you purchase a new adapter.

Replaced bad capacitors AC Adapter Model F10603 C - YouTube

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:27 AM

It might be worthwhile to not only purchase a new ac brick, but also, to take the laptop to a local computer shop and let them use their hard-ware testing stuff on your "power-train" [from the ac adapter jack to the motherboard circuitry to the battery, and back again.  Yeah, it costs, but would a laptop meltdown.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users