Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Identifying internal hardware, in order to select correct drivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jaded2

Jaded2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:17 AM

Hi. (Thanks for accepting me).  I've been given a laptop (Dell Inspiron 1300): It has a history of being faulty. The main battery is u/s but I'm running it from the mains. I've wiped the HD and loaded Win XP.  Device Manager tells me it needs various drivers.  I've visited the Dell support website and for some of the internal kit there as many as 20 selections.  I've tried Belarc Adviser, and Speccy, but not been able to identify named hardware in order to select correct drivers.  This could easily be me not using the pgms correctly.  I'd be grateful for any advice/thoughts. J.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:47 AM

tweaking.com's hardware identify program might be another tool to try.  It's geeky to me in its output, however, it appears to be thorough.  Speccy is good also - save snapshot, save txt, save xml.  And, save the URL it creates, in case a BC hardware tech asks for that URL.  You have the right idea:  find out exactly what chipsets, devices, etc. are within and on your computer and then hunt up the drivers Windows XP needs for said computer.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 October 2015 - 11:51 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:55 PM

If it's a Dell system...the proper hardware should be selected automatically when using the Dell website support.

Get Updates For Your Specific System

Louis

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

Because Dell has multiple drivers for multiple devices i.e. Network Adapters for a single model you can verify the device by Right Clicking the device in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware ID in the Dropdown box. The first line gives the vendor and device ID which can be found and pcidatabase.com

You can get a list of the devices using Minitoolbox and selecting List Devices -  only problems. It will give a list of the Vendor/Device IDs of devices with no drivers.

If Dell still has the support site available you can use the Service Tag 

#5 Jaded2

Jaded2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:25 AM

Thanks Folks, for suggestions. I'm an elderly tyro, so it will take me a little time.  J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users