Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does my APC Smart-UPS SUA1000XLI UPS fail to stop a power outage?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

Hi all!

I have a custom built computer from PS.no, make: Tundra Workstation from 2005, and am running MS Win XP Pro SP3 32-bit Norwegian.

I also have an APC Smart-UPS SUA1000XLI UPS which unfortunately fails to stop a power outage / blackout, as both the computer and the monitor 19" NEC MultiSync FE950+ immediately get turned off. :(

It is connected to the computer via USB, however I am not using its shipped software (only Windows' built in one). It is during the last few years that its behavior has changed, as it used to work perfectly when I bought it anew. It has not been subjected to a lightning strike either. In addition the battery level indicator flashes during computer bootup, which means that the UPS has not been calibrated yet.

Do you think it could be either its age (10 years old) or could it be the batteries (original, never replaced), or something else?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 28 October 2015 - 07:08 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

I have never seen a UPS battery go much past 5 years. 10 years is a long time.The UPS you have is quite large with the ability to run extended times by adding multiple batteries. How many batteries are in the unit? Usually, if a battery is going the unit will beep multiple times. Does the unit have a test button? If not then the test is done with APC software through USB.

I think you may be better off purchasing a new UPS especially if you plan on getting a new computer. Newer PSUs are PFC and you would need a PFC compatible UPS.

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hi, JohnC_21!

Thank you for the prompt and advising reply! :)

How many batteries are in the unit? Usually, if a battery is going the unit will beep multiple times. Does the unit have a test button? If not then the test is done with APC software through USB.

There are two batteries in the unit. With all do respect, this UPS has a 'Replace Battery' indicator, which is not flashing / lit. Yes, the unit has a test button, but the software is either too old or business-oriented, and not really as user friendly for a home user like me.

I think you may be better off purchasing a new UPS especially if you plan on getting a new computer. Newer PSUs are PFC and you would need a PFC compatible UPS.

Yes, I agree; as it happens, I just forgot to mention that, BTW my specifications are here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/593360/building-my-first-high-end-workstation-pc-albeit-with-some-minor-tradeoffs/

I did not know that fact about PFC compatible UPSes, however thanks for the tip. :wink:

I have decided trying to add this UPS; CYBERPOWER USV UPS 1500VA CP1500EPFCLCD to my order, and to couple it with this PSU: CORSAIR AX 860i 860W PSU CP-9020037-EU.

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users