Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Fan Failure Error?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sogin

Sogin

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

Recently switched my Dell XPS 8700 into a larger gaming tower due to overheating issues. Ever since I did so I get a "System Fan Failure" at startup with the option of continuing or going into settings. All 5 case fans are working, CPU fan is working and my temps aren't high, I do have fan controls on the case (Just one switch which flips from Silent to Turbo) Any ideas what may be causing this/ how can I fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:13 AM

Normally you can disable fan failure warning under the pc health tab in the bios

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

I assume the CPU fan goes into the connector labeled "CPU Fan". Right? Make sure all of the fan power cable connectors are firmly seated.

Did you have "system fan failure" errors before when it was in the Dell case?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:08 AM

I set my fans to constantly spin at top speed.  Rather replace a fan or two than to replace mobo or proc.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:23 AM

I assume the CPU fan goes into the connector labeled "CPU Fan". Right? Make sure all of the fan power cable connectors are firmly seated.

Did you have "system fan failure" errors before when it was in the Dell case?

Nope, never before. The case was just too small for the upgraded Video Card I got so it just over heated, only happened right after changing cases. Cables are all good.

Normally you can disable fan failure warning under the pc health tab in the bios

Ah, thanks for that. Will do that if I can't find an answer since nothing seems to be wrong..Any idea why it would appear in the first place, though?

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

It could be dust built up you can not see in one of the fans. It could mean the temperature sensor on one of the fans is dying/dead. May need to re-seat the CPU fan, you sometimes have to after so many years. It could also mean the BIOS needs to be updated. Also, I have had a number of laptops report "fan failure" but the fan still worked, it was just dying. Could be the same issue here.

How long have you had the Dell 8700?

Edit: Also, since it is still a Dell, there should be tests you can perform in the BIOS. See if it lists something like "fan tests" in the diagnostics section.

Edited by Gorbulan, 27 October 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#7 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

It could be dust built up you can not see in one of the fans. It could mean the temperature sensor on one of the fans is dying/dead. May need to re-seat the CPU fan, you sometimes have to after so many years. It could also mean the BIOS needs to be updated. Also, I have had a number of laptops report "fan failure" but the fan still worked, it was just dying. Could be the same issue here.

How long have you had the Dell 8700?

Edit: Also, since it is still a Dell, there should be tests you can perform in the BIOS. See if it lists something like "fan tests" in the diagnostics section.

No dust that I can imagine. gets cleaned every month. , and couldn't find a fan test. =/ I hope it's not the fan failing..That would be irritating that everything I purchase doesn't work considering it's a brand new case. Lol The XPS I had about one and a half years.

Edited by Sogin, 27 October 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

See if there is an update for the BIOS.

#9 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

See if there is an update for the BIOS.

Nope, no update for BIOS. Sorry for the late reply on that one.

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:49 PM

You mentioned the previous case had overheating issues. Do you know what component was overheating? What circumstances caused it to overheat?

#11 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:01 AM

Wasn't overheating as in shutting itself down, was just a bit too hot for my liking. I believe it was the CPU, and the cause of it was the size of the case. It was very small, and even now it runs a bit hotter than it should with 5 fans, my guess is because the motherboard is so small that the Videocard and CPU are very close. How ever I am curious now because this morning when I went to boot it up, the fan in the front of my case kept kicking on and off, I had to put it into turbo to force it to spin then turn it back down and it's working.

Edited by Sogin, 06 November 2015 - 09:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users