Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing or moving locked program that is no longer supported

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jayfive

Jayfive

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:46 AM

Doing some searching to solve my problem ran across Bleeping Computer - looks like a great resource.  This is my first post here. 

I am using software called Tenant Pro 7 (TP7) on W7 home premium system.  It has an SSD C drive (shows 167 GB capacity) that was installed February 2013.  TP7 is a property management program - the data file is an .mdb type - Microsoft Data Base same as MS Access (I believe).   The software is no longer supported.  In the past each new install was unlocked by a call to the company and they would generate an unlocking code for that installation.  The company either closed and sold user information to a cloud based service or re-formed as a cloud based company.  The fees charged for cloud based management software do not work for the small number of units I manage. 

I have a trial version of an optional program that fits cost wise, but not very inspiring in terms of usability.  So here is my question(s).  While reading about EaseUs transfer software there was an implication that locked software could be moved to another computer and perhaps work - any possibility of that? 

Thank you,

Jay

Edited by Jayfive, 27 October 2015 - 02:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:50 PM

Bleeping Computer > Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines

o No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures

#3 Jayfive

Jayfive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:59 PM

Bleeping Computer > Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines

o No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures

I have revised my post so that hopefully it fits in the guidelines and rules.  

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

"Locked" means "encrypted", IMO, if you are talking about data.

If you don't have the key...my understanding is that you will unable to open encrypted files.

You can move it to the moon...without the key, you won't be opening said files :).

Louis

#5 Jayfive

Jayfive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

Thanks Louis, that is sort of what I figured, but was trying the optimistic approach.  Since the original post I have found a cloud based program with monthly fees I can live with.  Am testing the software now - seems like it will be fine so will most likely proceed that way. 

Thanks again,

Jay

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:00 PM

:thumbsup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users